I hate people on the internet

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Mordeci, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

For some reason people on the internet are much cruler to me then they would be in real life. Since I have so much free time now I thought a good way to pass the time would be to look at news articles and make comments on them, join forums, even blog about my opinions. I was very careful not to say anything that my be considered rude, or mean to anyone else, but in return I have been verbally assulted on several forums just for voiceing my opinion. It even goes deeper then just a disagreement, I was attacked on a deep personal level on several ocasions on several diffrent sites, for the littlest of coments such as "I think he should have to serve more jail time" or "I liked" or "I didn't like this particular film", and the worst part is that it effects me on a deeply personal level and really hurts my feelings. I mentioned this before but I hate the aniominty of the internet, people will say things to me that they will never dare say to my face and it is all very upsetting.

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

People can also be kinder though. I hope that you're not forgetting the support and help you have sought here. It's easy to focus on the negative, but hopefully you can balance it out.

And yes, people can be very much crueler because there are very few real consequences for them. I think if they make a comment personal, then that are in the wrong and basically have nothing of any use to say. If, however, they disagree with your opinion then that's something to try not to take personally, because not everyone will agree.

3. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

It's becuse they forget we're real. I bet they wouldn't dare be so confrontational IRL. We just have to grow thicker skin and get on with it.

4. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I know how you feel here, Mordeci. People can be very cruel on here, and being a very sensitive person myself, I too, like you, take the smallest piece of criticism very much to heart. You just have to try and take it all with a pinch of salt and realise that they're just words coming from a silly person with nothing better to do with their life. If it hurts you that much, then try avoiding such places in the future until you are sure you are able to cope with them better? I wish you luck anyway, and try to not let it get you down too much. :hug:

5. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Yeah, some people are just immature and foolish. It's unfortunate. Don't let it get to you man. In one ear, out the other.

6. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've seen so many people, in real life, that live for being right. I can see how it happens more on the internet. We used to call it "behind the blue screen."

I stay out of the comment sections because there are always more that one that just has to be right.

People even treat God that way. At Job 40:8 in the NLT Bible, God asked, "Are you going to discredit my justice and condemn me so you can say you are right? "

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  7. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Thanks the problem wasn't really anything on this site and I appreciate all the help I get on here to it's, just other sites and news sites where I would be attacked in the comment section for something I said. It's one thing to disagree, amidtidly I don't like to be chalanged on too many things but I can live with it, its the personal attacks that gets to me and forces me the stay away from something I would otherwise enjoy because I am to sensative and not in a good place to hear personal insults, even if they are coming from someone I never met. The whole situation has just made me feel weak for not being able to take while others are able to brush it off like it never happened.

8. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

It took me a long time to figure out how not to take things personally. I've met with success in some areas. The are times though I still get knocked down because something goes through me so deep and it makes me sick.

9. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. When someone says something at work, for instance, I think about for a few days sometimes. It's just hard for me to get it out of my head sometimes. My co-workers are just less sensitive it seems as few things seem to bother them. Or they hide things well, I dunno.

10. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

SuicideIsTheWrongOption Well-Known Member

Anonymity leads to a false sense of security and that leads to the dark side. People will do many things they wouldn't normally. It's sad, yet freeing at times. I voice my opinions in a way, my shy self, wouldn't in real life. I defend myself in ways i might not in real life. But it can be abused as well.

But if you said at some point, that you didn't like the matrix, then i can understand the ridicule. It's a perfect mix of philosophy and guns.

11. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I agree. It's like coming here. You are anonymous. It let's you say things that you wouldnt in RL to friends and family. Those people that so quickly throw the hurtful replies are probably little mice in RL. They know the chances of anyone ever finding them are pretty slim. And from personal experience it's almost as if these people can "sense" the more sensitive and caring people on a site. So they be the bully, hand out the shit. No one can make them answer for it. They probably need that "power" as much as we need the support from here. Actually if you were to stand up to them, bet they'd just move on to another member, much like bullies in RL. Dont fear them and their replies, feel sorry for them Andrew. That's the best they can do?????? Bahhh! You're better than that and you know it so find a way to just let the remarks slide.

12. SuicideIsTheWrongOption

SuicideIsTheWrongOption Well-Known Member

The trick is to bully the trolls, not specifically but for as long as they are logged in. I quite enjoy it. Anytime we have a troll come into the chat room, i have so much fun just making fun of them while they try to get everyone all riled up.

the trick is to somewhat play into their game and at the same time to make them feel stupid.