I hate psychotropic drugs.

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Ruby, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Antipsychotics in particular do nothing for me. I have developed several physical problems due to the side effects of the drugs. Problems that require treatment from medical doctors. I have high prolactin, diabetes, my thyroid is becoming underactive, I have a fast heart rate and problems with my liver. ALL of which were caused by the antipsychotics i've been on/take - risperidone (risperdal), olanzapine (zxprexa) and quetiapine (seroquel). Even the medic I see said, ''personally I think that antipsychotics are horrible drugs with horrendous side effects''. How can antipsychotics be beneficial to someone who doesn't even have psychosis? It's ridiculous. I didn't even seek psychiatric help for 'psychosis', I went for depression. I'm quite happy to take antidepressants but why should I be forced to take these drugs? Antipsychotics should be banned. I stopped taking my seroquel once and was awake for three days unable to sit still or concentrate.

2. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

You shouldn't take them if they're not needed and are not beneficial to you. I take risperdal and I guess it has helped me out, but the list of side effects does scare me. I'm not sure if I would go as far as to say they should be banned tho, they do help a lot of people.

3. no point

no point Well-Known Member

Why do you have to take them especially if they don't do anything for you and if they cause serious problems? Can you talk to your doctor about just taking antidepressants?

4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

They completely messed up my hormones, esp. to do with heat tolerance and I got PCOS (which means sometimes I get a SIX week period). I hate them. :mad: My hormones are settling down though but it's taken two years...:/

But when I mention it to doctors, they say "S blames antipsychotics for ABC." Blame is such an offensive word. I know my body and I know that when I was on olanzapine I was having symptoms of a diabetic- I was urinating and drinking so much. I've heard lots of people on that drug develop diabetes.

How are you forced to take APs Ruby? I just refuse medication and I'm seen as 'non compliant.' My gf says that word should be changed to 'informed refusal'.

5. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I'd be injected with them if I stopped taking them.

6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I've had doctors threatening that to me too. I just try and limit my involvement with MH services and be very careful as to what I say (sometimes that is difficult when I'm all over the place and obviously manic), so I don't get so stressed up with them.

7. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I also hate the medications.. They are suppose to help but for me they make things worse.. One medication put me temp blinde once.. The side effects (for me) are worse then the illness at times.

8. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

That's horrible, Ruby. :( I'm sorry. I've been on Zyprexa and Risperdal and I gained so much weight so fast. To have all those medical problems from them, though...that's really terrible. Doctors don't warn about that stuff either (maybe some do. I don't know). I wonder if your doctor would recommend Geodon? I'm on Geodon now...it's supposed to have less side effects...but I haven't read much about it.

If you really don't need them, though, the doctor should wean you off them. Maybe you could ask him/ her about it? Antipsychotics can be awful....

9. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Which one was that?

10. ThoseEmptyWalls

I dont have a clue.. Thats been six years ago... I dont remember...

11. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I'm been taken off the seroquel and being put on abilify. My concern is that the change will only make my voices worse or give me more medical problems. If it's not a success I don't know what they'll put me on then as I would have already tried most of the atypicals. Apparently my symptoms have been quite difficult to treat (I haven't made much improvement since I was diagnosed with schizo affective disorder). They wouldn't put me on the older antipsychotics, would they? :mellow:

12. Hatemylife88

Hatemylife88 Well-Known Member

13. ThoseEmptyWalls

I hear that the older drugs are making a come back... They say they are more effective for some people or something like that.. Less side effects too.

14. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

REALLY?

I wouldn't want to take them personally. I can visualise myself becoming a zombie, sleeping 18 hours a day, drooling at the mouth and gaining 20kgs.

Think i'd rather be 'psychotic'.