I hate the military, but I think I should join...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Ihatemyselfalot, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ihatemyselfalot

Ihatemyselfalot Banned Member

I come from a family that has a history in the military, I have heard that some people in my families history have some kind of history in the special forces..

So, since I left school, I have always had this "well, there is the military son.." rhetoric in my family, because they aren't forcing me to join, or pressuring me to join, but if they could make me go a certain way, the would want me to serve at least the minimal service time in the military, particularly the royal marines, which is where about 90% of my military family members have served.

The thing is, is I have always felt inadequate because I didn't join the marines when I left school, because I feel like half a man, because I'm in a military family, and I'm just a weakling who isn't up to it, the USMC would refer to me as a "Jody":
    Even though Jody is an upper class toff, which I'm not, the rest describes me quite well.
    And that just makes me feel worse.

I should have joined the royal marines when I was 17, I'm not clever or creative, so I cant really do what it is that I want to do with my life any way, so I should have joined.

I am going to enlist on Monday.
  2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I was in the Air Force and I really liked it. I joined because I wanted to. Please take that into consideration. Is this something that you want to do?

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hey you been brainwashed into those thoughts Do what you want to do what brings you enjoyment okay
  4. Ihatemyselfalot

I don't know, I think I would make a damn good marine, I just really need to tweak my physical fitness to the best I can for the next couple if months and I am ready.

I guess the reason people wouldn't bother joining a combat oriented branch of the military is the fear of dying, which I no longer have, don't get me wrong I will do my job and keep the other guys alive, I just wont be freaked out by bullets flying past my head or an explosion going off near me.

I have to look at the alternative, which is I have to grow up, stop thinking about having an interesting life, go to college, learn accounting or management or something, get a better job, do all the mundane crap people do like night clubs buying phones and laptops blah blah and just complement the system, try to make friends with assholes that I hate and do the usual talking shit behind their back, get into some relationship with some shallow bitch who just wants money, get on the property ladder, do as I'm told grovel for promotions and raises at work, buy armani suits, then pump out some kids who hate me and just become the apitome of the modern human

I can do this, which is a bit more interesting, hell, I think I could make it to the special forces if I wanted to..
    I just have to go and just turn what's left of my personality off and I will be a good soldier, and If go to war and come home in a bag....... meh....

Nothing does any more.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2010
  5. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

i agree with Violet, ask yourself what you enjoy doing and try to find a way to make it your job. You may say you dont fear death but the fact is you dont realy like the military and i presume you are not very stable atm, hence the reason we are all here. this doesnt seem like a very good receipt to me to become a marine. i would say for this job you need to be not 100% but 110% stable in your head. being a soldier brings alot responsibilities toward your comrades and civilians, it is so much more then how much we fear death, are you realy up for this ?
    you dont have to follow the crowd by, how you call it "completing the system", you can have a job which you like, something you support and what material stuff you will purchase later on and how much clubbing you will do is up to you.
    i might be wrong though, i have not been in the military but i have some friends who came back from irak and some of them are suffering trauma's from what they have witnessed. if you are not 110% stable and 100% devodet to do this i would not recommend it.
  6. loser

loser Well-Known Member

I agree with Violet and flyingdutchman. But you seem to be angry with yourself and feeling stuck,frustrated. like there was no alternative. You may not be able to get what you really want at this time but almost anything else would more suitable than the military. You are obviously not suited for it. Just have a look at the alternatives, voluntary jobs, courses, maybe get a skill that will boost your confidence. Good Luck.
  7. Ihatemyselfalot

I should be okay, I can just turn off whatever personality I have left, which isn't hard because I don't have much of a personality any more so that will be okay, and then I can become a perfect soldier.
    I might not be stable, but I can handle having drill instuctors screaming abuse and demands at me, I will be okay with that.

Things I enjoy....... :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Nothing really comes to mind any more, I don't think I really enjoy anything any more.
    I always wanted to just run away and make a living as a drummer, but I don't really like that idea any more, it all just seems kinda pointless...

I think I am up for it, and I don't hate the military, I just don't see it as an honour or anything like that, I just see it as a job.

Hmmmm, I disagree, Its everything that life stands for that is making me want to just end it and say to god "FUCK YOU, I QUIT!!!".

I have been on numerous courses to get skills, it never leads any where, I work hard to try and get them, I just end up getting another crappy job that has nothing to do with what I studied...
  8. THEO

THEO Member

its defenatly a job I dont advise joining a combat arms branch, there's alot more to it than you dying as i realized, nothing can prepare you for combat.

the military is a double edged sword, parts are good and others bad, I hate the military but i dont regret joining.
  9. Ihatemyselfalot

10. Ihatemyselfalot

I am all set to go and become an Army Ranger.

My friend joined the rangers a few years ago, I'm only 20 (nearly 21) and he is 27 and he was like me, he was ready to off himself, his lie lacked any kind of substance, he lived day to day with his crappy job, went home to to his crappy family life, he joined to run away and its basically sorted his life out.

"serving my country" or "wanting to be a part of something bigger than myself" isn't the reason I'm doing it.

I have been thinking that stuff will pick up and be happy the more I go through it.
    I never wanted for life to be simple, I always wanted strange events and urgency and for it to be exciting..
    Even though the army isn't my ideal life, its the closest thing to it...

I'm good at this kind of stuff, I'm good at tactical things and things that require adrenaline and stress, so that's why an elite force rather than anything else..

And I like the idea of being shot at and having no idea whether or not I will be on the chopper soldier area home, and not in a bag in the cargo area...

I have pretty much given up on ever actually finding a girlfriend, but at least in uniform a woman might be able to stand the sight of me.
  11. generic0x1

generic0x1 Member

What's the longest you've been away from home? I was going to join the forces cause my dad kept badgering me to do so until I was away from home unwillingly and not able to come back for 17 days (in rehab). That's when I *knew* I wouldn't be able to join cause I'd get too homesick. So there's a thought.

Anyhow, if you absolutely feel like you should join to please your family and dropped out of school, just do it. Honestly, it could be the best thing you ever did. There are a lot of ppl from around here who say its the best thing they ever did..

My nephew is a 'Jody' for sure but he signed up for an 8yr. contract and LOVES it. He looks at the brighter side of things while he's there and stationed where ever-- He's in the best shape of his life, met a lot of cool guys and has a set future, ya know? You'll be just fine-- once you're there and you get the feel for it and all settled in you may like it. Sign up for the minimum and if you do indeed like it, sign up for longer if you feel like your life is going in no direction at this point. Self-gratitude is always good, too. Being in the military will def. give you self-gratification, ya know? Good luck! -kate-
  12. Ihatemyselfalot

Hi Kate. :)

I absolutely hate it here, getting as far away from here for as long as possible would be great, maybe when I am where I am and I have passed my traning, I can maybe rent a place a few miles away from the base and at least I'm living away from here.
    I will be perfectly okay being away from here, I would consider it liberation.

Thanks, that's so cool and great words of motivation, I cant wait to hit boot camp and change myself for the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.