I $%#$^#$ hate the USA mental health system!!!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Soon, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soon

Soon Member

My girlfriend took me to a local behavioral health services place yesterday. Based on my interview answers, the doctor wanted to do a partial admission with me right away. I can't do it. I'm not made of f'ing money. I can't take that kind of time off of work.

Why can't these people just put a freaking name on a sheet of paper for me and say "Here, go this this person twice a week." Simple. No. Everyone either wants to ignore me or put me in a padded f'ing cell.

When I declined the service they gave me an outpatient services number to call. I called it three times today, and got voicemail each time. No one has called me back.

I am beyond frustrated right now. This is why so many people never seek help. It's hard enough for someone who's depressed and suicidal to actively seek help. And then when you finally do, roadblocks, red tape, and dead ends.

2. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

Why can't you find your own psychiatrist or therapist?
  3. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

its all about taking control and making money, the mental health system in this country is a joke, I wouldnt trust and psychiatrist or psychologists, especially the psychiatrists, they are the real quacks who love the money and power
  4. just.me

just.me Account Closed

I dont get it... you americans got the highest income in the world
    im talking about minimal payment rate
    i live in east Europe where we earn 200$ a month
    and some of us still manage to rent an appt, to buy food, and to have
    enough for some spending's... (or doctors)
    it cost 7.2$ for a visit to a PRIVATE professional psychiatrist
    only the meds are a bit expansive (21.4$ for just 1 type of pills that i need)
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I know the feeling only too well. The Irish mental health system is a joke.
    Therapy-easy to get. A proper diagnosis and treatment ,impossible :mad:
    Even paying privately doesn't help. They always come up with some excuse as to why you can't have the medication that will help you. :/
    No wonder the suicide rates are so high.
    A shame :(
  6. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

USA isn't even top 10.
  7. wastedmylife

when you take into account the cost of living I dont think it is much difference, maybe the us is better then alot of countries

for example you might only pay $100 for rent a month where here cheap rent might cost about $600 a month and most people barely make $1000 after taxes a month

and our health care system is evil and corrupt, and if you are poor and dont qualify for the government services which most poor people dont, you are basically shit out of luck and you might spend the rest of your life in debt if something should go wrong

and it costs about $100 an hour at least to see a psychiatrist or shrink and who knows how much they charge for the garbage medication
  8. fweeps

fweeps Staff Alumni

I know exactly how you feel. I live in Sanoma county up near san francisco and to get help here is pretty much impossible. My last attempt landed me in the intensive care unit for 6 days and when i was released they send people to a place called PES or pychiatric Emergency Services. I was still very suicidal and the next day they told me to go home. I told them if they release me im walking straight into traffic. They didnt care until i left my things walked out the door and headed right to the street. It shouldnt have to be so hard to get help. Im suicidal right now and since its impossible to get help here (which I would) its just easier to do it. So I will.
  9. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

They may earn more in america but they also pay more for things. If the figures you've provided for your country are correct it would cost you roughly 14% of your monthly income for a one hour therapist appointment once a week. For someone on minimum wage in america it would cost approximately 34% of their income. Not saying you have it easier, but most american's certainly aren't sitting comfortably when it comes to paying for healthcare.

Soon - sometimes charities provide cut price counselling, if there's something like that in your area it might be worth checking out just to have a little bit of help.
  10. wastedmylife

ha I think it comes down to everyone is on their own, I thought I was suicidal back in August and I admitted myself to the hospital, and they wouldnt take me because I didnt have health insurance, I sort of had to promise them and sign something saying I wouldnt kill myself
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.