I hate this

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by normaljoe, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normaljoe

normaljoe Well-Known Member

you know how hard it is to write about abuse and spanking in my psych classes? it sucks. Thanks social psych for making me relive every single aspect of my childhood all over again and then having to discuss it. not to mention life span and development class which is nothing more than a repeat. (I had a very poor choice for upper level courses as I hate biology and chemistry)
  2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I majored in psych and I don't recall a single assignment that made me relieve my experiences.

They covered different areas, I put my personal experience aside, the teacher has no business knowing my personal life and it shouldn't for you either.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I agree with Drownedfishonfire, they should not have to know your private issues that were in the past, it could hurt you a lot to try and relive them without the necessary support in place. Is there anyway you could talk to your tutor about this? It's your life and mental health on the line, it's none of their business, I don't fully understand why it has to be brought up.

Also...you posted this in the soap box, if you would like I can move it to the rape & abuse section of the forum(or any other part :) ) .
  4. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I think it would be a good idea to talk to someone, a tutor or if you feel that's too close, the right support place that you can talk about what is bothering you. So in the end you can talk about this subject more objectively, rather then discussing and coming to conclusions about things that make you feel uncomfortable in the confines of a classroom.

In the end it's a lecture, so maybe try going into it with an open mind as I'm sure there's a multitude of scopes that you may not be aware of which might be interesting. Because in the end, you have to remember it's not about you, it's more objective I would assume.

But yeah to echo DrownedFishOnFire, they don't need your personal information to that degree. So look after yourself and maybe find a way so you can talk about the subject without letting it overwhelm you. And if it does, that's generally one avenue you could use to start talking to someone you consider qualified enough.
    Or you could just tough it out until the end of the course if it's just a requirement. Though it'd be a hell of benefit to deal with something that bothers you imo.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.