I have a date!!!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Petal, May 13, 2016.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

So, I have been talking to this guy a few times and he's a family friend for years so I know I can trust him etc.. but I am SO nervous! What to wear? what to talk about (most important thing)? play hard to get? He's a nice guy, he suffers with depression, that is how we ''connected''. He hasn't called it a date but there was a chemistry between us when I was talking to him this evening. It's at 5pm tomorrow! Help! I am so excited but want some tips please, I haven't been with anyone relationship wise in 2.5 years. I knew love would come to me, well, I hope it has lol! He is about 40-ish, I am 27. Just FYI :) what to talk about is the main issue, I am so bad at keeping conversations going!
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Don't worry about what you are wearing, it can be casual but dressy. As far as conversation goes, just ask him what's going on in his life, what he likes to do and all that. I'm not very good at talking to guys, and I haven't been on a date before, so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice, lol. Just be yourself, I am sure everything will be just fine. :)
    Petal likes this.
  3. Petal

His girlfriend of 7 years left him a few months ago and 10k was stolen from his bank account and could not be retrieved so I am very unsure of what to bring up but at the same time he is easy going and laid back. Meeting him after he finishes work, he's meeting me at my house. soooo excited, over the moon :)
  4. Northern

Northern SF Supporter

Will you have dinner? Eating usually help with the ackward silences you seems to be afraid of! Some music helps too!

Don't ask too much questions and try to talk about yourself, your college plans and stuff like that.

Good luck!! :D
    Serein and Petal like this.
  5. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Yay I'm happy for you hun!

My best advice is to be yourself!
    Petal likes this.
  6. Petal

no, we are going to a beautiful lake as Ireland is having a mini heatwave at the moment, i've just woke up and am so excited :) I'm nervous excited lol I will just be myself and hope that, that is good enough.
  7. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Wow I am so happy for you Petal. Love is such a nice feeling. I hope I can find someone too. :)
    Petal likes this.
  8. Petal

Thank you :)
    Khvde likes this.
  9. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

Petal likes this.
  10. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Just be yourself. Listen, smile and plenty of eye contact. If you are nervous, tell him and it will easy the date. Like you are here in your writing, be yourself and enjoy the time together. Remember, he his hurting as well so no doubt he is feeling very fragile as well. If things are meant to be then fine otherwise just your remain forever good friends.

This advice might be poppycock but it's my assessment of the date...
    Petal likes this.
  11. Husky

Husky Well-Known Member

Hi Petal, Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and great things do happen to great people too. I would just encourage you to be yourself as well because he likes you for who you are and not for something or someone else. I would say you are a positive, cheerful, intelligent, and empathetic person but the way you describe yourself is what is important. I'd just be you. As for the lovely guy you're going on a date with, well I bet he's the most envied man in Ireland. I hope everything goes well for you. Husky
    lightning05 and Khvde like this.
  12. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Congrats. I'm happy for you. :D
  13. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Great Petal. Do just be yourself. And don't plan on love just yet. Its a we bit early. So don't get hopes up. You don't want to get them dashed. Just have fun.
    lightning05 likes this.
  14. lightning05

lightning05 Well-Known Member

Have fun! Like everyone else said, be yourself. I find it's always easier with older guys. They tend to be more laid back. You go! ;)
  15. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Excellent Petal!!!!! I'm so happy for you :) you'll do just fine, just relax and be yourself.
  16. na-taya

na-taya Well-Known Member

I hope you have a fantastic time basking in the sun and company....just be you and I'm sure you will have a great time!! I looked forward to hearing how it went. Enjoy your self and try to just be in the moment!
  17. Petal

OK, he had to work late but we're planning on setting another ''date''. I was also drunk so glad it was postponed lol
  18. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

good luck
  19. Petal

He is texting me a lot but I am playing hard to get lol!!! That's a new one for me :p I think he only likes me when he's drunk and he would be ashamed to be with me if sober, but that is a thought not necessarily a fact. He is a good guy though maybe I should give it a shot?
  20. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Yes you should but only if he is sober.