I have a fear of sleeping because...

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by Joshy, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshy

Joshy Well-Known Member

Because I often get very bad sleep paralysis attacks. (Before you say ridiculous sh*t, I'M AN ATHEIST.)

Only sometimes when I'm about to go to sleep I feel like I'm sleeping on the wrong side, and I know I might have a sleep paralysis attack.
    But most of the time I'm so sleep I'm just like "I can't stay awake any longer... Must sleep....... "

Then I suddenly woke up completely paralyzed. I can feel my body muscles all paralyzed!
    I become very self away that this isn't a dream. The clock is still ticking, I can hear it, and the TV is still on the show I left it on Netflix a few minutes or hours ago.
    I panic and try to move any body part I possibly can to trigger a big twitch or jolt to wake up my muscles to then wake me up entirely.

My ex-girlfriend has even experienced me in that state. She said she just saw me staring straight ahead with my eyes open and wiggling my toes and twitching and shaking a little before I eventually wake up.

I'm not as much scared of being paralyzed, but the fact that I'm paralyzed makes me think "Something is wrong with me! Am I ever going to move again? Is this a state of a coma? Will I have a heart attack from this?" which THEN causes me to panic a lot, and focus on moving my muscles to wake myself up.

So that's why I'm very scared of falling asleep. The fear of being paralyzed and being stuck forever like that. I've had it even since I was younger around age 7-9.
    I would remember waking up for school and suddenly I can't move at all.

Does ANYONE else have this as bad as I do?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have had an attack llike you said only once hun and it scared the hell out of me i could not move or turn or anything to get out of bed in the morning finally my arm moved and i called my therapist actually and said i can't move I don't know what caused it but it was only one time and i actually rolled out of bed to get up If you find out what causes it let me know ok i think maybe i was just so stressed out and overtired my body just shut down. hugs to you
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have also had an attack like that, tbh just wanted to let you know you are not alone 'cos I do not have a clue how to prevent them, they are so very scary!
  4. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I have had this a few times (possibly 3/4 times) so not really that much, they absolutely terrifying. Mine have usually been when I am overtired or extremely stressed.

"Who Develops Sleep Paralysis?

Up to as many as four out of every 10 people may have sleep paralysis. This common condition is often first noticed in the teen years. But men and women of any age can have it. Sleep paralysis may run in families. Other factors that may be linked to sleep paralysis include:

Lack of sleep
    Sleep schedule that changes
    Mental conditions such as stress or bipolar disorder
    Sleeping on the back
    Other sleep problems such as narcolepsy or nighttime leg cramps
    Use of certain medications
    Substance abuse"
    this is what I found on it
  5. MWC

MWC Member

I get this alot too, its terrifying. It used to be something that happened most nights, but now it will go away for a while and then suddenly appear again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.