I have a interesting question

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Mainax, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainax

Mainax Active Member

i have a question, one thats been bugging me for a while and i'm tempted to give in to it.
    If you don't believe in god like i do, and you believe that once you die, thats it, you just die. You no longer feel anything, see anything, no longer even think, its just gone.
    Then whats to stop me from killing myself right now..
    I wouldn't be able to think so there would be no regrets, no memories, i wouldn't be able to FEEL bad for my friends and family because i just plain wouldn't be able to feel
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Well while you are still alive you can imagine what they would be feeling. Or understand it. So that can keep you. Or you could just have an inner knowing that their is an afterlife. An inkling (is that the right word lol).
    I've had the feeling for a while that it's not just over when our physical bodies die.
  3. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

It's not over when our bodies die. I dont believe in heaven or hell. But i do know that there is an afterlife. What it holds for us, sadly, i don't know.
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I think you keep coming back until you get it right! Then you can move on to bigger and better things!
  5. Gecko

Gecko Member

I sincerely would love to know if there is an after life, if i knew that I would surely no my fate on this earth.
  6. fromthatshow

Well all of us know our fate on earth is to die. Afterwards not everyone is so sure.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I think in this life we are searching for things. For love, happiness, truth, goodness, beauty etc. I don't believe that if you die all these things will simply come to you because maybe you never really understood or knew what they were about. So maybe we just carry on searching, in this life and the next, or maybe we just simply never discover these things?

I don't thing life is necessarily about discovering these things though, I think the search itself is important.
  8. miracletome

miracletome Active Member

im not sure if you would agree, but killing yourself is a sin. please dont kill yourself or think about =( you will make me frown. maybe you havent lived your life your fullest. negative thinking attracts negative thing to come your way, and postive thinking brings positive results :] even if you think when youre dead, you wont be able to feel what your family is feeling... you do now. they will be frowning, ect. When you are gone, you are not really completely gone. people will remember you and they'll have memories that they had with you. It's not nice to put other people through pain, dont hurt yourself.
  9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I can't prove or disprove the existence of God. You can believe in God or you can believe that there is no God, it really doesn't matter. But I believe that when we die, our astral bodies detach from our physical bodies and we become disembodies spirits roaming aimlessly around. I know that we all have to die sometime, but I'm sure that there a time for our natural death to occur. We should cherish the gift of having a human body. I've heard that spirits possess people, because they need a body to experience the pleasures that we can experience. When you become a ghost, you can't do anything but wander aimlessly and scare people. Thats a pointless existence.
  10. Alone613

Alone613 Active Member

You have brought up some very excellent points and I wonder if you've ever taken your questions to a member of the clergy. I'm not a member of the clergy myself, but since I'm here, and they're not, maybe I can help.

I do believe in G-d. There has never been a question in my mind but that He exists. When I was a child, being abused by my parents, I felt His presence very close to me, keeping me alive, letting me know that He was there. Why didn't He stop them? Because He gave all human beings the gift of free will. The fact that my parents - and my children and husband - are using/have used their gift to do the wrong thing, doesn't disprove the existence of G-d, or even His goodness. It only proves that the depths of evil to which human beings can descend are unutterably unfathomable when they cast G-d's true desires and Laws out of their lives, and wrap themselves in false religiosity.

When I died - literally - two years ago after taking a whopping huge size of a mixture of deadly, well planned, legal drugs - I experienced only blackness. No light, no being of light, no wonderful angels, or souls of dead relatives come to meet me. I experienced a complete, total blackness - no feeling, no sense of consciousness, no hell, no pain - just black velvet nothingness. One thing pierced that blackness. When I was told what was done to me to bring me back, I'm truly amazed that I felt absolutely NOTHING and remember absolutely NOTHING except for that one thing; my friend - my very dearest friend screeched at me and somehow, THAT penetrated my stopped heart, my non-breathing lungs, my non-existentent pulse. I heard her scream at the top of her lungs, "How coould you do this? How could you do this to me?!!!!!!!!" Even now, I remember how she cut through death and made me hear her. I don't understand it, except to believe that I guess I needed to know that somebody was upset that I was dead.

The belief in my religion is that when one commits suicide, one's soul is extinguished forever. I didn't know what to expect and I didn't even care. I only wanted to be gone from this world, and if that meant that my soul was to be extinguished, then maybe that was what I needed, maybe that was what I deserved. As for now, I am suicidal, every day, every moment, every second that I am in this world, I am here because G-d, I presume, made sure that I was brought back to life despite the fact that, I can assure you, I had enough drugs - all overdoses of my prescription medicines - in my system to have put me beyond the power of the doctors four hours before I was brought into the hospital.

There is nothing to stop anyone from doing anything to "harm themselves" - or to be more direct, kill themselves. It is a choice of free will and is governed by what one believes to be true. I believe that for some, there is a bright shining light - for those who die of natural or accidental causes, or at least, not by their own hand. When necessary, by whatever reasons I am not sure, souls are sent back to this world to finish a task that was not finished in their previous life. However many times it takes to complete one's task or mission, it takes. I also believe that the soul is extinguished when a person takes his/her own life. In that case, one dies, supposedly not having accomplished the task for which it was first sent to earth - and there is no further chance to fulfill that task. The black world of the extinguished soul knows nothing. I believe that the people who are left behind may be the ones who suffer for this soul's unfinished task. I believe that those left behind suffer also - some who should because there are times when others are the cause of another's suicide - some who shouldn't suffer. Then again, if one dies of natural causes, those who love you will suffer anyway.

To me, right now it is only a question, right now, of not leaving a terrible legacy for grandchildren with whom I am close, and who I love so much.

Take my answers and do what you will with them. For any who believe in G-d, a suicide is a sin. What others don't understand is that there are times when life is so horrendously painful that death is the only answer and it does NOT feel as if one has a choice. That said, I would hate to see anyone commit suicide because of what I say here. If avoiding the commission of sin is stronger than depression, one will live. Otherwise, one will not.

I wish you much kindness and an easier road back to health, with less and less thoughts of suicide invading your life.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  11. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

That speaks for itself that you don't "feel" now and even after the thought of being gone.....

I'm curious, if you believe that you die, that's it.....what is the hesitation or significance of your curiousity? Are you wondering IF there could be something greater out there that could intervene?

I am there with you......it's like a very numbing feeling.......almost robotic.

Do you feel that way too? Like bad things don't seem bad and right from wrong are blending????
  12. SullenGirl187

SullenGirl187 Member

I wanted to write to you to give a different perspective than I think anyone on here will ever give you. And this is the philosophical point of view of the meaning of existence. I don't know if you have ever read anything on Nihilism but if you haven't you really should. Nihilism is generally attributed to Nietzsche after he wrote, "Being and Nothingness". Which you should read by the way. This is a brief definition:

Nihilism (from the Latin nihil, nothing) is a philosophical position which argues that existence is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value. Nihilists generally assert some or all of the following:

Objective morality does not exist.
    No action is logically preferable to any other in regard to the moral value of one action over another.
    In the absence of morality, existence has no intrinsic higher meaning or goal.
    There is no reasonable proof or argument for the existence of a higher ruler or creator.
    Even if a higher ruler or creator exists, mankind has no moral obligation to worship them.
    The term nihilism is sometimes used synonymously with anomie to denote a general mood of despair at the pointlessness of existence.[1]

This is my personal belief system and one that I think many suicidal people have on an intuitive, subjective level but not on an objective, intellectual level. It is easier to deal with the meaninglessness of life when we take out our "feelings" about it and look at it from an objective/distant point of view. As if we were a fly on the wall looking in at ourselves.

Personally, I believe that life, ALL LIFE, is meaningless. At the end point I mean. I actually do understand that the point of life is too continually evolve our spirits until we get back to "the source". But in my point of view, even THAT is meaningless. And once you have this belief inside you then you are really left with two choices. Choose life or choose death. And if you choose life, then I feel you should make it the absolute BEST life you possibly can. If you are not going to choose death. If you choose death, then I personally see no wrong in this choice. It is a choice like any other. With no moral basis. But you have to understand that even in death it is really not THE END. You will only move on into spirit form or possibly become reincarnated into another human being to continue the soul's evolution process. To only continue on into yet another miserable, meaningless existence in another body. So, there really isn't a solution but to try to make this life the best possible. Even if you clearly understand that it is meaningless.
  13. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I pretty much believe this too. This is why suicide is a bad decision. You will just come back as someone else and be faced with the same challenges you were faced in your previous life. Therefore, suicide is not a solution to your problems. It's a means to an ends. But it's sure hurtful to your lovedones who are left behind to pick up the pieces.
  14. janie

janie Well-Known Member

what if incarnation actually happens except anything with a remote sense of consciousness is included and u come back as like ...a pig on a farm? or some rabbit? or some african kid? lol just a thought
  15. fromthatshow

I've thought about this :).
    I don't know if it's possible to devolve. Maybe.
  16. Mainax

Mainax Active Member

Wow i never expected such a reply, and such a variety of different opinions.

"I'm curious, if you believe that you die, that's it.....what is the hesitation or significance of your curiousity? Are you wondering IF there could be something greater out there that could intervene?"

I guess the only reason i haven't killed my self already is the hope that it will get better.
    I guess thats odd compared to what i believe and think, so my best guess is that its my heart conflicting with my brain.

And alone613, it sounds to me like you could call your "recovery " a miracle to some extent, there are somethings in this world we just can't understand.

And sullengirl, you said "And if you choose life, then I feel you should make it the absolute BEST life you possibly can. " But if you believe in reincarnation, surely leading the best life will just lead once again, to another pointless meaningless life ?
    Also whats to say you will remember your previous lives once you have been " reborn"
    But thankyou everyone for making a view
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.