I have a problem

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Tobes, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was given an eviction notice. I've lived in my flat (in Australia) for 2 years now and I got the notice for being a week behind in rent. This is a problem because if I do get kicked out I have nowhere else to go. My dad hasn't got room for me and neither do any of my friends, which are few. This has come at a time when I stopped thinking about suicide, but now it looks like it's back on the table.

I can't afford and don't want to move, and I refuse to be homeless. I'm going to talk to my landlady and ask her to change her mind, but it may be out of her hands because the owners of the building hold a lot of sway in these matters, as you'd expect. I can maybe borrow money to get the rent up to date, but It may be hard. Suicide is again an option, but obvioulsy not the best one. Can anyone give me any help or advice on how to manage this problem?

2. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know much about Australia, but they may have shelters there and you just have to bunk somewhere for now until you get back on your feet again. Anywhere with something over your head is good right? I never liked to borrow money, if I were to go homeless, I went homeless for a reason and I should've paid my rent now I must live with the consequences. In my town they have special social services that help out people with rent and threats of eviction, you can try to look for it in your town.

3. chooselife

chooselife Well-Known Member

Hmmmm! Suicide because you cannot pay your rent? I think that is a silly excuse to want to end your life. Borrow the money if you can. You are willing to give up on life way too easily and you are taking advantage of it. We allllll have problems in this world. You have to face them, not run from them.

If your friends wont put you up verses you being on the street are they really your friends? I was homeless too, twice. I had friends who let me sleep on their couch until I was on my feet. One did eventually kick me out and I was forced to make decisions. I slept in my car for a while. It sucked, but life throws some pretty BIG challenges our way. Face them.

4. suicider628

suicider628 Well-Known Member

Homeless shelter is ur friend, you are not really homeless, u just need a place to stay until u can get back on ur feet. See it as a challenge mate, the harder it is, the more rewarding. Think about how u will be able to see urself in the future, that not even being homeless can stop you in life!

If homeless shelter is not available, there is always the police station, sometime they offer jail as a shelter, u are not really arrested tho.

5. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I would ask to talk to the owners of the building directly. Your landlady must have a phone number for them. Let them know that you are paying your rent by a certain date and that its the first time it happens and that in the future you will pay it on time. I'm sure if you talk with them they will make an exception....

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

social services in your community can help with rent see if you can get loan from dad until you get money in. Yes defininetly talk withowner of building to get extention to pay your rent. i hope it works out for you.

7. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Hey guys thank you all for your helpful advice, I am going to speak to my landlady today and try and get the owners number. There may be some shelters in my town, I don't know but I'll check it out.

Thanks again, Tobes

8. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Its ludicrous to get an eviction notice for being one week behind in rent. Thats incredibly harsh. My advice is too borrow the money, and as soon you can move out - do so. Are these the sort of a-holes you want to be supporting with your money?

9. no_point

no_point Member

talk to centrelink about rent assistance and even the department of housing
    when i was out of work i was 6 weeks behind and they helped me. im sure they can help you with one week
    goodluck x

10. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Good News! I spoke to my landlady and said that I can borrow some money and pay the rent that I owe, and she said that I can stay. What a relief. Thank you everybody for your advice and for helping me. I really appreciate it.

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm glad you got it sorted :hug: :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.