I have a question....

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Walter Kovacs, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Walter Kovacs

Walter Kovacs Member

I met my cousin for the first time in my life. He reminds me of how I was when I was his age. He is socially isolated since birth by everyone. He has attempted suicide many times and suffers severe depression like me. He is now in high school. He has nobody to turn to and is ignored no matter what he does( he has been to many therapists and nothing worked). Recently, he asked me if things will ever change for the better in high school? I don't know how to answer that question, as I have never attended college and had to withdraw from my studies due to being severely bullied.

Is it true that things change after high school?
  2. Red Nightmare

Red Nightmare Active Member

College can be a very different, and much better, experience than high school.
  3. sunnypseudo

sunnypseudo Well-Known Member

I think a lot of things change after high school and mostly for the better. One finally has a chance to get away from all the people that may have been cruel to them or even simply never noticed. Having never attended school after HS, I can't really speak from personal experience but at least from the experience of others. College's focus I think is much more healthy than that in HS. By that point you are discovering your passions and interests and working to pursue them on a professional level. So college isn't about surviving, its about growing whereas any schooling high school and under are, it seems about surviving, especially for those who deal with depression and social issues.
  4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Yep, college is different. Its much more about learning. And less about popularity contests and hanging around with the in crowd. Or being ignored by the in crowd. It is a wonderful chance to explore and develop new interests. To learn about things you never knew even existed. It was much better then high school. But then I lived at home and did not have to deal with dorm life and wild parties than can occur.
  5. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Yes, college is different.
    As for dorm life, you can generally request quiet floors or no alcohol ones.
  6. Kaien

Kaien Member

I hated high school but loved college, they are completely different environments. You'll also find that unlike high school most people are there because they want to be, they want to learn because of this people are generally more accepting. I went to a major liberal college which helped me greatly as I stuck out slightly, I'm legally blind and at the time had green hair but was accepted by a large number of my peers. The only advice I can give is tell him to go away to college, don't be close enough to commute because you'll have too many of the same people from high school.
  7. Walter Kovacs

Walter Kovacs Member

Is it possible to be extremely isolated in university. I am scared for my cousin as I don't want him to suffer like me. If this is the case, what do I do?
  8. Kaien

Kaien Member

You can choose to be isolated by not leaving your dorm but honestly in the first couple weeks most universities hold mixers and the like to help everyone get acclimated and acquainted
  9. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Everyone got different responses to high school college and life beyond college. Your life experience more likely will not be like his because most people those days find life is better after hellish high school days leaving behind schoolyard nonsense that means nothing to real mature functioning adults out there with more issues to worry about but there's always a number of people holding so tight onto their past they wont let it go and change for the better. No one is living his life but himself. He can listen or see your advice soundly and take it to heart what worked for you and what didn't and make his own decision.

Never too late for yourself either