i have a stupid question lol.....

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

why is everyone on this forum so nice, but yet in ''real'' life, ive never met anyone like the people here? or do people just act nice on the internet?, or do we all have split personalities? oh im confusing myself lol, :unsure:

2. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

most of the pepole can be theirselves when nobody sees them...;)

3. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I personally would say generally that people can create whoever they want to be on the internet. The internet is a way to create a person, a live for yourself. You could say anything on the internet and it would be believed.

There are some very nice people on the forum. Maybe it's because we're in such a hard place that its easier to bond with people and offer our friendship. I've met 7 people from SF and their all as lovely as they are on the forum :biggrin:

4. Petal

thanks, both of you:smile: it's good to know there are nice caring people out there, i just haven't met any real ones yet...

5. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I think many of us (well for me anyway) wear a facade/a mask when around other people. I'm usually pretty quiet and dont like to meet new people, so I just stay quiet and therefore dont have a chance to be 'nice' and understanding to these people.
    And I'm sure we all have the idea in our heads that not everyone is nice and not everyone is friendly, I mean we cant even go down the street anymore and say hello or smile to random people. The world isnt a friendly place anymore, so yeah...I understodd what I meant, I hope others do too :tongue:

6. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

well i`d like to meet someone of the forum but i live in argentina, so i think it`ll be hard:p

7. aqaq22

aqaq22 Well-Known Member

On this forum, people come here of like minds. It's uplifting and the feeling of "I'm not alone after all. My feelings are not unique." is a basis for connection. It makes for easier dialogue.

In line at the cafeteria, it's not so easy to turn to the cashier and say..."Hey, have you been feeling suicidal lately? I sure have been! As a matter of fact, it's just about all I can think about!! See ya later!"

That kind of talk outside this forum doesn't lend itself to forming/bonding connections w/ other human beings..

my 2 cents anyway :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  8. Petal

thanks everyone, lol its good to know that most people are genuinely who they say they are :hug:

9. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Funny, back when I used to post on discussion boards whose focus was politics I used to think exactly the opposite. I'd wonder where do all these neo-net-nazis, racists, thuggish communists, anarchosyndicalists (two groups who can be every bit as nasty as nazis and generic racists), etc. come from? I've never met any of the above in real life, yet here they are clogging up forum after forum with Holocaust denial, praises for Pol Pot, etc.

Then there were the konspiracy kooks. Often nice people until they get onto their little podium about the New World Order, Reptilians, Bildebergers, the WTC attacks being an inside job, who knows what else. Nice, but, well, not sure how to put this politely, a little bit off. Nowhere near as bad as the racists and communists, but, their discourse is kind of tilted in one direction. :mellow:

10. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

It's truly hard to judge someone by the internet or even is real life. For instance my husband was nice to everyone but me. I've seen the same thing online. Someone nice on a forum but nasty in private, someone nasty on the forum but nice in private. We all have our good and bad days and there are times we are at our best and times we aren't. The best route to take is to take plenty of time to get to know someone both on and off the internet. People tend to display the best or worst possible image in public but that doesn't mean that's who they are.

I share similar experience to gmork. It depends on the forum and what the focus is. When in Rome....?
    But doing as the Roman's do doesn't make us Romans does it? Interesting to think about.

Edited to add: As you can see I don't tell pretty lies just to make people feel better. It doesn't do us any good to hear lies all the time, especially when we have to face reality on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  11. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think there's a lot of mean people in the world. At least that's been my experience. That's why I like it here because most people are pretty nice and supportive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.