I have everything in this world and also nothing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 25 young working professional, college educated, work for a fortune 25 company, have good looks, make good money, have a beautiful girlfriend, a nice car, house everything. Yet I feel empty... I don't know why human beings have a purpose or is it that we make purpose to give life meaning... I've been thinking about death,... is there really an afterlife or is it that one day we die and not know we are dead (i.e. like when we are sleeping). I am a man of science so I don't really believe in religion so don't bother... what is conciousness, why are human beings given free choice? A female friend of mine committed suicide she was very attractive and exceptionally talented, I had no idea why, it just didn't make sense... so I've been pondering death lately... I feel that there is nothing left for me to accomplish... I wake up go to work, get paid, pay bills, spend time with the girlfriend, its an endless cycle probably until I retire but is this what life is about?

J

Jack88

I'd suggest trying to find a purpose in life, if you are having a mid-life crisis of sorts (although you are still very young) you should try to find ways to make your life meaningful.

About your free choice/concious thing. Everything we do is based upon our genes and our enviornment so you can't really say we are free in this sense. Freedom is the ability to pursue your wants and goals unhindered, very few people are truly free in society.

Try to keep on going man, I'm sure there are many here who can help you more than I can.

mortdesinos

I am 25 young working professional, college educated, work for a fortune 25 company, have good looks, make good money, have a beautiful girlfriend, a nice car, house everything.
There is a reason you separated this from the rest. This is reality. Then, you go on to clearly show that you are depressed. Depression has no link with reality. It's a downward spiral, and the longer you're depressed, the harder it will be to get out of it. I believe that goes for everyone, no matter what other mental illnesses you may or may not have. It can take a lot of willpower to overcome depression. You can't force words into someone's head and turn them into positive energy. If someone says "don't be depressed, feel lucky, enjoy your life" it's not going to do anything for you. You have to challenge your thoughts about death, worthlessness, helplessness, etc., no matter how much you feel that they are the only way to go. Again, depression is separate from reality. Anyone's life seems miserable, should they happen to get deeply depressed.

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

PontyCruizer

can i just ask mate (im 23/m/uk) have you thought about havin a baby?

that would give you a purpose and babies are so random and make you smile and really lighten up your life (if you are like you and working for a fortune, if your skint then babies can drag ya down and make things worse but after reading your post, i think a baby could help) i have a 8month old girl and if it wasnt for her, well.......just think about it - tell me what ya think

You may want to read a book called "Mans Search For Meaning" by Viktor Frankl.

In it, he describes his imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp. For many months, he faced death daily, yet found meaning in his life and tried to instill meaning in others.

Like you, I feel as if I have everything a man could ask for, loving wife, two beautiful kids, wonderful job, money in the bank, etc, etc. But there are times I feel incredibly empty and soul-less. This book help me tremendously.

could look into medication herbal or prescription, grape seed extract is really good for deppression, maybe it will help bring you back and give you a quest for life.

It feels like I'm the Kevin Spacey's character in the movie American Beauty hoping to be shot in the end, nothing excites me anymore, sex, having a kid, money, etc. I'm against medications and will not seek professional help, maybe what I need is some change in my mundane existence... I don't know what the fuck to do anymore... I'm going to pickup that book and see how it is...

Last edited by a moderator:

SoulRiser

I wake up go to work, get paid, pay bills, spend time with the girlfriend, its an endless cycle probably until I retire but is this what life is about?
Not unless that's what you want... I'm guessing it isn't. What does excite you? Even if it's something tiny and insigificant... pay attention to it and see where it takes you. Also, I don't know if this always works, but maybe it's worth a try. There are also lots of other articles about life purpose and related stuff there, I get totally lost exploring that site for hours at a time, so hopefully you'll find something useful there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00