I have PTSD

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Samsara, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samsara

Samsara Well-Known Member

I just found out I have PTSD. I'm kinda bewildered that I didn't think of it earlier.

I've survived the suicide of my brother, a very turbulant separation by my parents, I'm the adult child of an alcoholic, well, two alcoholics, but one is recovered, and all the abuse that goes with that, a less than satisfying school life, all of which is nicely coated by thoughts of suicide that started over 6 years ago and still persist.

All of that equates to a fairly traumatic childhood.

I can't really list all the symptoms I have, but the ones that I noticed most often are:

memory loss and lapses of memory / reduced attention span

general "disembodied" anxiety

Insomnia (no nightmares though)

sometimes I experience moodswings and irritability, as if I'm hormonal.

"social paranoia"

Alternating between isolating and clinging.

And one very interesting symptom that I haven't really heard of before: Compulsive honesty. Yes, lying and withholding information causes me great emotional stress, so I pretty say whatever pops into my mind, and I only lie if it absolutely the best option lol.

I could use some advice on coping with PTSD.
  2. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

PTSD is a hell of a thing. I still have it from OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom), first rotaion. The fact that I still try to hit the deck when I hear an unexpected noise--even a car backstarting--is one that I struggle with.

The fact that I automatically assume that garbage by the roadside is housing IEDs (improvised explosive devices) is another.

I'm sorry to say that I don't think PTSD can ever be cured . . . but it certainly can be managed.

Step 1.) Take a time out. If you feel like you're reacting strongly to a stimulus or that you feel you're having a panic attack, there's no shame in taking a breather. Nobody has to be the wiser, just say you're taking a smoke break.

Step 2.) ask yourself if you're being rational. Chances are, you're not--and this applies to myself, too. Why would there be a bomb in my neighboorhood, for example? It's a possibility--but probably is not the case.

Step 3.) Make goals for yourself, or at least make a compromise. "All right, if I can get through this, then I'm allowed to have TWO beers with dinner." You'll be surprised how far a little incentive to yourself will motivate you.

Step 4.) Continue to seek theraputic means. This may or not mean seeing a psychologist or therapist. It can be as little as confiding in friends, keeping a journal, or participating in art or community service.

Step 5.) A day at a time. PTSD, like all other mental health issues, aren't easy. They require attention, care, and a plan of action.

Hope that some of these tips help. With my current plan to be proactive as well as my medication, I'm finally feeling like I'm back in control of my life . . . and if I can manage, then I think that you'll succeed, too. Good luck!
  3. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

These are two of the wisest things (actually they all are, but I'm just addressing these two) that I know I have the hardest time with. Noticing when you're going over the edge, and realizing that it is over the edge, and backing off. I still can't get these right. Even when I realize it, I can't get the backing off part right, because I go on automatic and just attack (or flee, depending).

I don't think PTSD can be healed either, just managed. That's pretty much what most of my therapists have told me as well. But I suppose the upside of having it (or any problem) is that you can really learn about yourself while you're trying to handle it and fix it. Its caused me to be extremely introspective (though I'm not honestly certain this is good either). You may want to look at things like OCD as well. I get OCD about things trying to avoid the panic and everything else. I didn't realize that until my doctor pointed it out.

I'm really sorry for your diagnosis.
  4. DS

DS Account Closed

Clockwork Reality;
    You've said it well. All of your tips are things i too have found helpful. Things to live by daily. ...and sometimes you have to do it everyday for the rest of your life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.