I Have the Strangest Trigger Ever

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by panoply, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panoply

panoply Banned Member

For some reason, my insane lust for organization leads me to cut and burn when someone blatantly butchers the English language. I have an obsessive need for organization, and particularly when it comes to words, language, and grammar. When I see someone write a sentence fragment, misuse your/you're/their/there/they're/its/it's, something just clicks in my head and I've since developed a way to counter it by 1) <edit moderator total eclipse method> or 2) cutting, with a serrated kitchen knife or burning with a lighter< edit moderator total elipse method> There are times when it doesn't bother me as much, or I simply don't notice it. At times I might make a mistake or two myself. For some reason, capitalization doesn't bother me (I suppose it has something to do with e.e. cummings being one of my favorite poets, but whatever), and internet slang like "ur" (which can represent either your or you're) don't seem to bother me, either.

I know this sounds contrived, but I'm seriously not joking here. I'm just curious if this is as beyond weird as I think it is, because I'm seriously wondering if I should just stay away from forums all together.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Everybody has things that trigger that others might find to be odd. Doesn't make you weird or anything. To me it sounds like it might be OCD related. For my OCD the strangest things cause my OCD to act up. Have you talked to a doctor about it? If not you might want to.
  3. panoply

panoply Banned Member

I have been diagnosed with OCD (then again, who hasn't these days? It's the fibromyalgia of psychiatric medicine). I feel silly even having posted this thread in the first place.
  4. The Unforgiven

The Unforgiven Well-Known Member

well no, theres nothing silly about it. if its any consolation i know exactly! what you mean. even the fact that my sentences are not starting with capitals registers as annoyance. wanting organisation is a mark of discipline, but not in so much excess mate. there are masses of ignorant fools. you cant let their language deficiencies influence you to this extent.
    ask your doc about this again, before it runs out of control. :)
  5. panoply

panoply Banned Member

capitalization, or lack thereof, doesn't bother me in the least. it's been considered a stylistic choice in the past (e.e. cummings legally changed his name to all lowercase letters). besides, i'm a bit of a minimalist and find it rather calming.

i've talked to my doctor about my o.c.d. of course; not into detail about the grammar issue, though. i love to write, and i love prose and poetry. that's probably one of the ticks fueling my issue. who knows? lol

i still feel silly posting about this. i don't quite know what prompted me to do so.
  6. The Unforgiven

The Unforgiven Well-Known Member

youre always welcome to share whatever youre thinking. :) theres always a listening ear. :) :headphones:
  7. panoply

panoply Banned Member

i have thought about it now and then. it's partly due to my innate cynicism. i think i might see a lack of grammar as a lack of appreciation for what i hold really close to my heart (literature), and that in turn sparks my bitterness, leading me to anger, then to hate, then to the dark side. lol :starwars:

i realize what a villain this must make me look like to people who might be self-conscious about their grammar or whatever... that's partly why i hate myself for it. i really am a nice person!

EDIT: i just noticed one of the moderators clipped my original post. for those who may be wondering, the first method i utilize involves brushing daisies across my skin.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.