I have yte to understand how...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

... telling someone who is acutely suicidal and distressed that 'you're young', 'you're intelligent', 'you have a lot to live', 'you have your future ahead of you', etc, etc, is supposed to help!

That's what I get told by doctors all the time. Doesn't change how horrific I feel, just manages to gloss over it. I know it's said with good intent, but sometimes it's better to say nothing, than say something.

/moan

(yes, I was told all that again this morning)

windlepoons

It sucks. People just do not understand at all, they see what they want, they say those things because that is what they would like. They think it will somehow 'snap you out of it' and stop all the negative thoughts and depression. If only it were that simple.

Scum

Wouldn't it be awesome if it was that simple! When someone said that, you magically felt better :D

He also told me that I'm really physically ill and asked me if I knew what would happen, and I was like 'yeh, my heart will give out and I'll drop dead'. Like that's supposed to scare or bother someone who is struggling as much as I am right now.

I think it's good that people don't have the understanding, in the respect that it means they have never been in that situation, but equally, it would be helpful if pepole could be trained in being a tad less unhelpful, lol.

windlepoons

Exactly! I feel better! Shazam!
They are indeed lucky. The world can be very unpleasant in so many ways...
Oh dear sorry to hear you are ill, may I ask what it is that's wrong? Please be well.

Brandt

Hearing it from someone who has never been depressed or in a similar situation does nothing for me, however, hearing it from someone who is/was depressed or in a similar situation goes a long way for me. But you can't blame those who aren't for saying those things, they don't know what it feels like to be depressed and probably don't know what to say other than those few things.

Scum

I'm ok :) I have extremely severe anaemia. My haemoglobin levels are very, very low. Or rather, they were when they were last tested in August, and whilst I'm still clearly anaemic now, we don't know my exact level is now (which I pointed out to him). My treatment options for it are very limited due to my anxieties and also my digestive system. I had an agreement with my previous doctor about when I would seek treatment and I do intend to stick with that. That previous doctor left though.

I've lived with this a long time. It's cool :) It's also been much worse than this before. I'm not fussed.

Animosity

Forum & Chat Buddy
I agree that its hard to be told that and for you not to believe it. But they do say it with good intent and you have to realize most people don't understand whats going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00