I heard it's a common nightmare.

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by UnfinishedFairytale, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I haven't looked it up myself, though I should I suppose.
    But, a friend of mine & I were talking about dreams the other day.. I'm not really sure what led to it.

Though, a common nightmare.. [since I rarely have actual dream-dreams] I have came up. A gruesome one, where in some nasty bloody way each one of my teeth falls out; it's the one I remember most. Each setting and scene is different, but the same thing. It's not a constant nightmare or anything, but still, it's.. disturbing.

Anyways, I heard from her; since she looked it up, never having the nightmare herself, and she said it could mean something about being afraid of the way people see you physically & such.
    Which, in my case could be 100% true. Though, I'm also actually afraid of losing my teeth in real life. Either way..

Again, anyways, I wanted to know..
    Who else has had this dream ?
    How often ?
    How many times do you think ?
    What do you PERSONALLY think it means?

Or, feel free to talk about any other nightmares you've had.. or dream-dreams. & See if anyone else has had the same ones.
  2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I have. I thought it was reflective of an individuals' insecurity of losing something very dear or close to him or her.
  3. deadend

deadend Active Member

I've had this type of dream a few times before. The definition I found of it says that it means you have anxiety about something. So people will usually have the dream the night before an interview or test, or date etc.
  4. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

I only had that dream once and I believed it was because I felt guilty not brushing my teeth before going to bed.
  5. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've had it, multiple times.

Usually when I'm really stressed.
  6. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I get the same nightmare, though usually most of my teeth had fallen/broken off before it ends.

I think it usually means you fear for your health. I constantly worry about my teeth, so I'm my nightmares a manifestation of that.
  7. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

This is one of my most common recurring dreams. I've always understood it to be a self-esteem (or lack of) dream. I hate it.
  8. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I have that dream sometimes. I use to have the dreams over and over again. Each time my teeth would fall out one at a time. Each dream was different too but ended with my teeth falling out. There was always blood when the teeth would come out and I would always be in terrible pain. Actually waking up with my mouth really sore. Your not along in these type of dreams. Im very insecure and lacking self esteem so maybe everyone is right when they say those dreams have something to do with that.
  9. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

it's true. loss of teeth and hair in dreams usually means low self esteem, but it can also mean you've fallen out with friends... don't know if that helps.
  10. Dudly

Dudly Well-Known Member

Yeah Ive had this one a couple times too. I never thought that was any more to it then flashing images in my head. But hey maybe I'm just ignorant!
  11. Obnoxiously_Pretentious

Obnoxiously_Pretentious Active Member

Yep. I'm very familiar with this dream too. I've must have had it at least 15 times with different variations. Sometimes there's blood. Sometimes not. Sometimes they'll suddenly be loose. Others, I just start spitting them out like watermelon seeds. Sometimes its one or two. Other times it's all of them. Sometimes it's the premolars, the canines, the incisors. It's gotten so frequent that sometimes I realize that it's just a dream. In hopes of getting it over with quickly, I roll my eyes and just start tugging as they go loose one by one. But no matter what, they're all very vivid and I end up rolling my tongue along my teeth for half the day to make sure that all of them are still there.

I wouldn't be surpised if these dreams do stem from low self-esteem. I've personally heard that it was because the dreamer felt a loss of control.

Either way, I've had plenty of other mediocre anxiety dreams: the mentioned hair loss dream, missing the school bus, failling an exam, being cussed off savagely by someone I admire for unknown reasons...
  12. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

I have never had any such dream, but would welcome it, I love nightmares, yes I am kinda odd that way.
  13. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

I've had dreams like that several times. I think it's because I actually do have very bad teeth. I lost one maybe several years ago. My dentist told me I'd lose my front tooth by the time I was 30 when I was 12 years old. Fortunately, I haven't yet. But the one on the bottom is hanging dangerously. Happens whne you lose your gum to periodontals. My teeth don't allow me to smile because I don't like ohters to see how crooked they're. They see the teeth and not the smile. My bro used to say Ewwwww. Lol.

I worried more about how I looked when I was younger. I've always been messed up so I had to work a lot harder than most people. Eventually, I stopped combing my hair. Keep my hair short. Trim my facial hair. Wash face with water. That's all.

I'm 34, btw. People can start losing their teeth in their 20's, depending on circumstances.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011
  14. Aliyah

Aliyah Member

I always heard it was anxiety about some change in life. Like how as a child, losing your baby teeth meant that you were changing and growing up.
  15. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Don't remember but once I had a dream where these ginormous bull moose, streaming blood and covered in gashes, was single mindedly chasing me down. Probably doesn't count but it was quite scary . . .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.