I just don't know.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Brandon, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

Ok so I had a long talk with my mom yesterday morning and she basically expressed to me that she wants to kill herself and probably will when we all (her kids) leave the house. I also found out why my father hates her and me, but I won't go into that. I responded in the worse way, isolated myself, took quite a few pills to forget for a while, and now they're wearing off and I have to face reality again. Has anyone ever gone through anything like this and if so how could you make it better? Any advice is appreciated.
  2. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Brandon I'm so sorry. The only suggestion I can make is to encourage her to seek therapy now since she is obviously in great distress. I don't know how she might respond to such a suggestion but it might be worth a try. :hug:
  3. Brandon

I've tried it before angie, the way she looks at it is I've always refused therapy, and she thinks i need it much more than her, so why should she go. I've also suggested her trying to get on some meds, but again, "you don't take yours so why should I". I don't know if its just a ploy to get me back on meds or whatever, but either way, I'd be the last person that she'd listen to about therapy :/
  4. loser

loser Well-Known Member

Tell her you love her and you would blame yourself if she killed herself. It is a difficult situation for both your parents. And for you. I do not know how you feel about your father or your relationship with him. You are the one who is going to have to act the adult in this situation and keep calm. Important to speak in a calm voice to lower the tension.
    It might be wise to phone your doctor. I think your doctor would want you to do so.
    You cannot leave your Mother alone unless you are absolutely sure that it is safe to do so.
    And it does not sound as if it is. Safety first has to be the rule. And you have to take the responsibility.
    Hospital is probably the best place for her at this time.
    She is going to need your love and understanding.
    So is your father.
    When they talk to you just listen to them both quietly.
    They will need to work it out.
    Take care.
  5. Brandon

Thats the thing though, I'm moving soon, so I can't help her like I should. And lol, i haven't had a proper conversation with my dad in years, he won't even say hi back to me when i say it to him. My sisters 9 years old, so whats she saying is basically she won't do anything for another 9 years, since we'll have nowhere to go. I just don't know what i can possibly do at this point..
  6. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a single correct thing to do here. It's a very complicated and difficult situation.

Maybe you can offer to go to therapy if she does? Remember to take your medication too, then she won't have a reason to not listen to you.
  7. amarinova

amarinova New Member

I think you and your mom should make a pact to both seek therapy. Even if you don't feel that you need it, it would help you to have someone to talk to about the stress of hearing these types of comments from your mother. We look at our parents as the responsible ones and the protectors and it's difficult to hear that they cannot control their emotions and the course of their lives.

Don't withdraw from her. She's clearly in a deep depression and could use you in her life now more than ever. Good luck to you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.