I just found out I'm bascically an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

InnerStrength

I just received pretty objective evidence that I am bascically an imbecile. I'd rather not get into the details, but how does one cope with this irrefutable knowledge? I don't have any skills/talents to compensate for this, what's the point?

itmahanh

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
By whose standards are these findings being based on? Your's or somone else? You are what or who you want to be. And I dont think you are an idiot. You may be struggling with things, but definitely not an idiot :arms:

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Your writing skills here show me you are not an idiot at all. YOu cannot be judged by someone elses criteria okay You are literate and you express yourself very well hugs

Lone_Wolf

Maybe you haven't found your "point" yet but I guarantee you that everyone has one. Don't let that get up down, I know the feeling. I'm here if you need to talk. :hug:

InnerStrength

By whose standards are these findings being based on? Your's or somone else? You are what or who you want to be. And I dont think you are an idiot. You may be struggling with things, but definitely not an idiot :arms:
Pretty objective, an IQ test score (although my verbal IQ is 130), my overall score was a 99. My psychologist said it wasn't representative of my intelligence, but all the evidence in my life points to this being true. My academic performance was/is terrible (anxiet/depression might effect it somewhat), my life has gone nowhere. I'm still living with my parents, I have no social network AT ALL, and I'm still working the same dead-end job that I was over six years ago. I appreciate the replies, but it is especially hard to think positively when all the evidence has negative connotations. At best, I'm an idiot savant.

itmahanh

(anxiet/depression might effect it somewhat),
Little more than somewhat hun. Depression pulls us into a rut and then keeps us there. And you have to fight really hard and long to get back out. Throw in just life in general happening around you and bang, you "feel" like you're an idiot just struggling to make it through each day. IQ tests dont factor in any of that. So take those results and see them for what they are. They arent the do-all everyone seems to think they are.

No one expects you to feel too happy. You arent in a very pleasant place right now. But just know you arent alone and people here care :arms:

RSKS

Pretty objective, an IQ test score (although my verbal IQ is 130), my overall score was a 99. My psychologist said it wasn't representative of my intelligence, but all the evidence in my life points to this being true. My academic performance was/is terrible (anxiet/depression might effect it somewhat), my life has gone nowhere. I'm still living with my parents, I have no social network AT ALL, and I'm still working the same dead-end job that I was over six years ago. I appreciate the replies, but it is especially hard to think positively when all the evidence has negative connotations. At best, I'm an idiot savant.
An IQ test has a mean of 100. You are almost dead on average (with the standard error of measurement you may be above average). Your 130 verbal is in the "Very Superior" range. You are hardly an imbecile or idiot. To the contrary, you're a pretty smart person.

In addition to this, depression will artificially lower the Perceptual Reasoning score. I would guess your IQ is much higher than measured. Didn't your psychologist explain this to you?

InnerStrength

An IQ test has a mean of 100. You are almost dead on average (with the standard error of measurement you may be above average). Your 130 verbal is in the "Very Superior" range. You are hardly an imbecile or idiot. To the contrary, you're a pretty smart person.

In addition to this, depression will artificially lower the Perceptual Reasoning score. I would guess your IQ is much higher than measured. Didn't your psychologist explain this to you?
Hey, thanks for the reply. Supposedly, I have depression/pretty severe anxiety/add. He said it could go up 10-12 points in my case, (in general for other people, he claimed it could go up more), he couldn't be more definitive about my particular case.

It seems like everything I make an attempt at, it turns out to be a colossal failure. I just don't understand how genetics can screw up this much.

RSKS

Hey, thanks for the reply. Supposedly, I have depression/pretty severe anxiety/add. He said it could go up 10-12 points in my case, (in general for other people, he claimed it could go up more), he couldn't be more definitive about my particular case.

It seems like everything I make an attempt at, it turns out to be a colossal failure. I just don't understand how genetics can screw up this much.
You know, one of the things that I have learned in my own life experience as well as working with people as long as I have is that the people who are the most successful in life have built that success on a mountain of failures. We all fail. We all lose. We all fall down. The people who are successful are the ones who keep going. There's nothing wrong with you that isn't very treatable. Work the treatment and be a success. Determine your own fate. It works.

InnerStrength

I only wish it were that easy. Stupid people only prosper when they have another skill or talent to compensate, I don't. Who wants to live an entire, insufferable existence being dull-witted with nothing to even compensate and being fully cognizant of it. The benefit of being stupid usually is not having the analytical skills to see your own flaws, in other words "bliss." For some reason I have been cursed with imbecility and an entirely pervasive self-criticism.

RSKS

I only wish it were that easy. Stupid people only prosper when they have another skill or talent to compensate, I don't. Who wants to live an entire, insufferable existence being dull-witted with nothing to even compensate and being fully cognizant of it. The benefit of being stupid usually is not having the analytical skills to see your own flaws, in other words "bliss." For some reason I have been cursed with imbecility and an entirely pervasive self-criticism.
But I just explained that the objective evidence shows that you are intelligent. Why do you need to hold onto the imbecile interpretation, even when not true?

Dave_N

Banned Member
Maybe you're just being too hard on yourself InnerStrength? I'm sure there are many things that you're good at. You seem to be very analytical for starters.

InnerStrength

But I just explained that the objective evidence shows that you are intelligent. Why do you need to hold onto the imbecile interpretation, even when not true?
It shows I'm good at one thing. Idiot Savants are good at one thing, well in fact they are exceptional, I can't even say that. I'm like an Idiot-Semi Savant.

OVERALL, I'm in the average range, but I consider that low average, unofficially. Sorry if I'm difficult to deal with, but I don't see the point of me metaphorically ramming my head into a brick wall of failure.

RSKS

It shows I'm good at one thing. Idiot Savants are good at one thing, well in fact they are exceptional, I can't even say that. I'm like an Idiot-Semi Savant.

OVERALL, I'm in the average range, but I consider that low average, unofficially. Sorry if I'm difficult to deal with, but I don't see the point of me metaphorically ramming my head into a brick wall of failure.
The mind can come to any conclusion it wants based upon any stimuli. When you are depressed, the negative conclusion is the one accepted as true. Your results are positive ones. You are not an idiot - objectively. Subjectively you want to convince yourself you are an idiot. That's your choice, but I would like to know what the potential gain is of being an imbecile and remaining depressed.

InnerStrength

The mind can come to any conclusion it wants based upon any stimuli. When you are depressed, the negative conclusion is the one accepted as true. Your results are positive ones. You are not an idiot - objectively. Subjectively you want to convince yourself you are an idiot. That's your choice, but I would like to know what the potential gain is of being an imbecile and remaining depressed.
My results were "average" at best, even if I break that down, I'm superior in one thing, and an idiot in pretty much every other capacity that can be measured.

RSKS

My results were "average" at best, even if I break that down, I'm superior in one thing, and an idiot in pretty much every other capacity that can be measured.
That doesn't really answer my question. What is the advantage of thinking this way? I know the test -- the blocks, the similarities, the digit span and which one goes here to complete the pattern. I know how to interpret the results, I've done it for years. You decided that your results mean something different than I'm telling you. That's fine, I just want to know why.

InnerStrength

That doesn't really answer my question. What is the advantage of thinking this way? I know the test -- the blocks, the similarities, the digit span and which one goes here to complete the pattern. I know how to interpret the results, I've done it for years. You decided that your results mean something different than I'm telling you. That's fine, I just want to know why.
There is no advantage, but there isn't necessarily an advantage to thinking positively, that might be my only hope, though. I could get drunk every night, pop anti-anxiety pills, and be blissfully ignorant of my flaws. I can't be that way, happiness is a reward, not a right. I'm not the kind of person to except happiness blindly. For me, it has to be EARNED. I'm referring to me and nobody else, here.

As far as you "interpreting results" I take that to mean you are a psychologist?

itmahanh

The mind can come to any conclusion it wants based upon any stimuli. When you are depressed, the negative conclusion is the one accepted as true.
Subjectively you want to convince yourself you are an idiot. That's your choice,
Imgoing to assume that you (RSKS) have not suffered from depression. It can get chronic and leaves you little to choice. You make it sound like depression is purely in a persons head.
depression is both mentally and phyusocally felt by thjose that suffer it. left untreated it can take control of a person leaving thenm seeing nothing but negativity

RSKS

There is no advantage, but there isn't necessarily an advantage to thinking positively, that might be my only hope, though. I could get drunk every night, pop anti-anxiety pills, and be blissfully ignorant of my flaws. I can't be that way, happiness is a reward, not a right. I'm not the kind of person to except happiness blindly. For me, it has to be EARNED. I'm referring to me and nobody else, here.

As far as you "interpreting results" I take that to mean you are a psychologist?
You have to understand though, you have put yourself in a lose lose situation. You say you have to earn happiness, but feel as though you cannot earn it. There's a huge advantage to thinking positively as opposed to negatively. It inspires, motivates, and allows you to make use of your strengths and compensate for any weaknesses. It's not about blissful ignorance, it's about informed movement forward.

Yes, I'm a psychologist.

RSKS

Imgoing to assume that you (RSKS) have not suffered from depression. It can get chronic and leaves you little to choice. You make it sound like depression is purely in a persons head.
depression is both mentally and phyusocally felt by thjose that suffer it. left untreated it can take control of a person leaving thenm seeing nothing but negativity
You cannot assume that as I have indeed suffered from depression. I have been at the lowest. I have contemplated, planned and attempted to take my own life. I know what it feels like to remain in bed for days at a time, unable to think of anything other than the worst. I've been there. I know that it's possible to get through it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00