I just got diagnosed.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by LadyC, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyC

LadyC Member

I am new here.
    I just got diagnosed with BPD at the age of 32 with a bunch of other disorders.
    I have been in a dark cloud all my life, never understanding what was wrong with me.
    I pushed it too far, I am completely in the dark now and I only see one way out.

I now you can never get ride of BPD, but that you can learn to live with it.
    But am I too old to learn? Is it too late?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

My mom got diagnosed properly at the age of 53. Now that we know, her life has become much easier, and she's finally being treated with drugs that help her, rather than harm her.

In case you don't read the other thread, I'll suggest you click the link in my signature here as well; it's a lifesaver - perhaps literally.
  3. Kina

Kina Member

Of course you're not too old to learn! And for what it's worth, some people do believe in complete recovery. I myself am a skeptic, but I do believe in management, and I think that's what you're talking about. Besides that, it sounds much more attainable than full blown recovery, doesn't it?

I've been living with BPD for 14 years. I went through DBT, psychodynamic therapy, a plethora of meds - Ultimately, I decided to go med-free, and just stuck with the therapy. I also have a ludicrous amount of self-help books(namely, DBT workbooks. Allow me to suggest "The Angry Heart", it's one of my favorites workbook-types). As of four years ago, I no longer meet the diagnostic criteria. Now, all that means is that I meet less than 5 of the diagnosing criteria. I still have my struggles, and things still get me down - I have to remind myself that I'm human, and regardless of BPD, I'd have struggles no matter what.

But it's difficult, I won't lie. It was hard, and lengthy. It's like leaving behind the devil you know and are comfortable with, in exchange for possibly something better(you hope, anyway). Like closing your eyes and jumping off a cliff, even. But it can pay off in spades.

You are never too old. With self-awareness and an open mind, you are more than capable of working your way to recovery.
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Er... You said you were on Seroquel so I figured bipolar disorder.

Do you mean borderline personality disorder (as Kina interpreted it, based on DBT mentions) or bipolar disorder?
  5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

A diagnosis is not a life sentence, in fact, the advantage, when correct allows the provider to prescribe the correct medication...there are many ppl who are bipolar whose manic events are missed and the medication is not correct...J
  6. LadyC

LadyC Member

I meant Borderline Personality disorder, sorry for the confusion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.