I just need some help, please.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Kiminari, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiminari

Kiminari Member

Hi, my names grace. Its just a first name so I don't care who sees it. I'm suicidal a lot. its caused by a half and half of my thyroid disease and my life. You guys can't really help with my thyroid problem but... I need help. i'm in college have been for 2 1/2 years. My freshman year I stopped going to clases midway through the semester because I became overwhelmed and shut down sleeping a good 12 hours a day. Then I had to withdrawl from my spring semester. Things were good in my softmore year.But now ive done goofed. I started shutting down again this year and for real this time ive failed too many classes Im going to flunk out of college. In this economy. Having to show my parents these grades when they got me through this far debt free? What good am I? What can I possibly do to make up for this in my life? if there's someone out there help please
  2. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Welcome Grace! First of all, you have a legitimate physical problem. Are you taking anything for your thyroid condition? I have hypothyroidism, which is low functioning thyroid. I take a pill everyday for it. That might affect your mood and your energy, which you have mentioned that you have a hard time getting up and going, losing desire, not enough energy, sleeping too much, and depression. I advice you to go and check your blood level and see if you need any thyroid functioning adjusted. About college, I have been in and out of college since !989 and finally graduated 2011. I suffer from serious suicidal tendencies and that disrupts my plans in life. I hope your parents will understand that you are not feeling very well enough to continue school like you are and maybe you need a break. Nothing wrong with that. You can always start back again when you feel better. Talk to the school counselor about how you feel. Please keep us in touch with how you are doing and hope my post can apply to you. If not, don't feel bad because someone else will probably give you their suggestions as well. Take care!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Grace talk to the school administration ok let them know that you have to leave because of your mental depression and illness that way they can put a stay on your courses so you do not get a failure and you can go back and finish them when you are stronger . Talk to a councilor as said and get them to help you with this You do not have to recieve a failing mark i believe if you put the course on stay until you get the treatment you did to get well hugs
  4. the black raven

the black raven Well-Known Member

I actually have the same problem, even skipped final exam this semester. I haven't told my dad yet, and talking with school administration doesn't work here, they will just blame me. I can't really help in this matter, but maybe in where you live, things are different. People seems to be more caring there than here, but that maybe a stereotype I see.
  5. Kiminari

Kiminari Member

Really ?I have hypothyroidism too. I do take medicine for it. Im getting myblood checked soon. And really asince 1989? What did you do until you went back? I dont think that mu parents will understand. They're more the type to say "you have a great life what do you have to be depressed about?" But I mean cant control who are family is.
  6. Kiminari

Kiminari Member

I think I can do that. Putting a stay on my classes will help. I dont really know what to do in the meantime my parents are really against getting mental health services. But ill try to find a way.
  7. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

Yes, the thyroid can cause a lot of physical and mental imbalance. You need routine blood checks to see if you're on a therapeutic level. I've been in and out of college for a long time. When I'm feeling good, I do well. But when I'm struggling mentally, I have to drop out. I used to work at a hospital to keep me preoccupied. However, I've also been in and out of psych hospitals for a long time too. When I'm feeling better, I pursue school again, but when I get sick, the cycle starts all over again. With my persistence and some encouragement, I finally finished college. As for getting mental help, talking with your school counselor may do some good and it's all confidential so your parents wouldn't know you're seeing one. There's hope, if I can make it, you can too!
  8. iwanttohelp

iwanttohelp Well-Known Member

Grace, you should do whatever you need to do to get counseling and if your parents are not supportive then definitely find a way to get help without them. Your feelings are real and depression is something that needs to be treated. You absolutely deserve to feel better and to get relief from suffering. If you have a school counselor then that would be a good start.

Being in college is a lot of pressure and stress. The expectations can be overwhelming. The truth is that society can be too fast paced and in-human... we need more rest, breaks and quiet time to think deeply about the bigger picture of our lives. We need compassion, caring and respect for ourselves. Nothing you are feeling is bad, and you should not deny your feelings or think you are no good because of your emotions. You need an outlet for your pain and hurt to be expressed. You need to find someone you can trust to do that and in the mean time keep posting here.

30 years ago I was suicidal as a teenager in college. After therapy and learning many daily coping tools I have gone on to have a full life, raise a family and give back to the world in positive ways. I agree with mpang123 when he says you can do it. If you put in a bit of effort every day to learning and practicing ways to manage your mental health, over time you will feel better. If you decide you want to seek relief, and do whatever it takes, eventually you will find what works for you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  9. meme333

meme333 Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm not familiar with your school system but talk talk talk until someone can help with the situation. It's totally legit and should get you some help.
  10. Kiminari

Kiminari Member

What about telling my parents about my grades theyll think im using my depression as an excuse to be with my friends all the time instead of study even though I really did try my best. How do I make them try and understand?
  11. MisterBGone

Just tell them the truth. If they don't believe you, express how hard it is to admit this, and that you wouldn't make it up just for a break. In other words, the stigma/reputation/revelation is such that this is not something that is worth conjuring a story up for/over. Sorry, when I get this way (depressed), I can't write one word in front of the other!
  12. Kiminari

Kiminari Member

Thank you. I suppose ill post again if all goes well or if anyone knows a shelter in my area (humor hopefully)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.