i keep failing...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by DarkLordVader, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordVader

DarkLordVader Well-Known Member

couldnt stay sober longer than a week... i just cant stay away from it... i feel shitty without it, miserable, angry...

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You stayed sober for a week though hun that is so hard to do and you did it Look at the postives ok you did it once you can do it again hugs

3. DarkLordVader

i know, it just bums me out when i fail...

4. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Yes the hardest part probably about quitting any substance is learning to deal with emotions that we have ignored for a long time. I think to successfully stay sober one cannot just quit the drug/s but they also must find new activitys/ways to deal with emotions.

But really, a week is a great start!! I think many people before successfully quit anything have a period of going between using and being sober, relapse is a part of it for many and thats ok. This was the case for me, its taken me over a year of going between using drugs and not using drugs to reach a point where I think I am headed in the right direction but I keep my guard up or else I will relapse yet again. A whole year!! For some its probably many years but they can still end up with successful quits. I think many at first think they cannot live without drugs, you may surprise yourself one day. Try to find a balance of going easy on yourself yet not letting that be an excuse to not try again.

Also dont forget depending on how much you were using something there is withdrawal and it will get better over time than it was in the first week. Even after the physical withdrawal is over there can be mental withdrawal for months or sometimes years. Thing may get worse before they get better. For now I hope you realize a week sober was a great start and even if you dont think you can do it right now, that can change over time. I didnt think I could honestly live without weed in my life more then a year ago. I have failed many many times before. I may not be much happier now but at least I dont have to buy weed all the time anymore! Just have empathy for yourself and keep trying as its not a smooth road for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
  5. DarkLordVader

its the alcohol withdrawal and high... the withdrawal kicks in and i am sick and shaking... a few days later i miss the high and i go back... i am scared to attend rehab because i dont want to lose my SSI benefits...

6. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Are you trying to quit both at the same time, maybe its best to quit one thing at a time? Some people need to do one at a time some may quit everything at once but I think that would be more rare. I think you said you also smoke? I would suggest trying to quit alcohol first.

Yes be careful with alcohol withdrawal. If you drink a large amount daily then withdrawal can actually be deadly and those people need to ween off it. If you cannot go to rehab do you have alcoholics/marijuana/narcotics anonymous groups close to where you live? That shouldnt affect anything because you can basically remain anon I think. I also used to enjoy the high but I realized it wasnt that I actually enjoyed the high anymore it was that I enjoyed not dealing with my issues. The problem is after the high wares off those issues get stronger. Just gotta try to face them and find a healthier way to deal with the mental stress/anger like exercise or meditation or any hobby.

7. PatriciaAHunt

PatriciaAHunt Member

Have you seek professional help with that?

8. unionfalls

unionfalls Well-Known Member

A week is a very good start. Keep trying. You just proved you can be successful with this. There should be alcoholics/marijuana/narcotics meetings in your area and they are anonymous. Some areas also have what are called inter-groups that you can call and speak with someone about this, that is unprofessional as well and is free. They helped me a great deal.
    Wishing you well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.