I keep wondering why this guy I knew comitted suicide

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by jonstark, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Robert was a bright kid - international competitions in math and physics and so on. I knew him casually. I liked him - he was respectful and modest. He seemed reasonably social.

In the summer of 2006 he suddenly disappeared. The whole city searched for him for a week. He was found in the river, drowned. His mother later stated he committed suicide. I was surprised to learn he killed himself. He had a promising future. He had a girlfriend. I don't think he was molested or abused in his childhood. I don't think he had a terminal illness. Apparently he never showed signs of depression, though that probably just means he was good at hiding it.

Since then I wonder, why did he suicide? The foremost idea I have is that he simply reached the conclusion life is a ton of crap and isn't worth bothering with anyway.
    I also keep thinking, damn this guy is good, he even managed to kill himself from the first time without anyone ever suspecting anything. I'm sorry if that last thought offends anyone, I realize it's a morbid and gruesome thing to say.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  2. aqaq22

aqaq22 Well-Known Member

We dont' always know what's going on with other people, even people we know well.
  3. Beattles

Beattles Well-Known Member

when you have it all, what else do you have to gain?
  4. baofu

baofu Active Member

I think its obvious

the fact that he couldn't deal with the pressure, he was constantly expected to do his best, maybe he wanted a "normal" life.