I know people hate the idea of therapy but...

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by KayleighBellax, Jun 8, 2012.

1. KayleighBellax

KayleighBellax New Member

Therapy helped me, i know it sounds scary and can confirm that you do indeed need help. I refused any help and began self harming and having self destructive thoughts and it wasn't until one of my friends accidentally saw some of my scars that i realised that i shouldn't be doing this. I confided in her and basically told her everything, from the messy break up to the serious problems i was having with my family.

She spoke to the school councillor and at first i resented her and was convinced it wouldn't help. I went to the first session and it turned out to go quite well. The councillor never pressured me into talking and sometimes i would spent a few minutes silently thinking of how to put things and he never pried. He did teach me one thing that sounds stupid but it does work. Writing one good thing about yourself a day and putting it somewhere you'll see it. I also wrote all my problems down and burnt them (safely i might add!) it was weirdly uplifting.

Don't know why i felt like sharing this today but my councillor just called to check i was okay. I left the school 2 years ago and they still check up on me from time to time and are happy to listen to my dramatics.

I hope you all are encouraged to atleast reach out by this message. I know people say it a lot but it DOES get better, for 4 years i refused to believe it but it does. Feel free to message me if you need anything or an unbiased opinion.
    Much love
    KayleighB
    xox

2. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Therapy is not for everyone but I agree, that it does make a good deal to be able to sit down for 40 minutes, an hour every few days or a week to get off your chest all of those little nagging worries and anxieties that trouble you, if you are the kind of person that does not mind talking to a stranger about some particulars of your life. But then, if you are like me, I find the same respite from taking to the roads and doing a good 50 - 80 kilometer walk when things get a little over bearing. Just my own two feet, music of my liking on the old mp3 player and the World around me... that is my therapy. ^^

3. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

It never helped me. Maybe I just had bad therapists... some of the people I've met on here have been far more caring and therapeutic than some shrink who gets paid to pretend to give a shit about me.

I'm glad that you were able to find help though. I stand firmly by the belief that it doesn't matter how you find happiness, the only thing that matters is that you do find it. For some people that is through meds, for some it's therapy, for others it's something else. I personally require something else.

4. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this. I didn't think therapy would help me either four years ago but it did. LOL...I remember walking into my therapist office...such a cynic. I had the biggest chip on my shoulder when I walked through that door to this tiny little woman sitting in a chair. But it did...by my third session, I was bawling like a baby and I began to understand myself more. It was truly remarkable. I wish I would have continued going but at the time, I couldn't even afford the twenty dollar copayments. But I made it....I'm here four years later. :pinkrose: