I lost my only lifeline

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Tecky, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Tecky

Tecky Well-Known Member

Yesterday my sister told us she is getting married and needs to buy a new flat.

So the money meant for my college fund will have to go to her. Now I am stuck without a future.

The only thing keeping me sane in Singapore is the thought that one day I can go study in a college away from Singapore. In one of those free countries like USA, UK, Canada, Australia or New Zealand... That will be rather expensive for someone from Singapore. For 3 years worth of higher education, it will cost me around S$100,000. For those of you not familiar with currency conversion rates, look it up on the internet.

There is no way a normal person can afford that sort of money on his own. No way. My only hope was my family supporting me. Now that my sister is getting married and needs the money for her flat, there is no other way I can come up with that kind of money.

And before anyone suggests that I work my way through college, let me remind you that Singapore is one of those countries that provide very cheap labor just so people in affluent countries can have affordable TV sets, radios and cell phones... Our labor is very cheap indeed.

And no, I do not wish to study in Singapore. Not after the government warned that anyone writing critical papers about the government will be dealt with. I plan to do a degree in social science. How can I NOT be critical? I already made my stand clear: that the high rate of suicide in Singapore is due to the lack of human rights (which also means lack of human dignity) and welfare to prevent our poorest from jumping off buildings.

Teck

2. physician

physician Well-Known Member

in my country it isn't normal when a sister marries to be bought an apartment by her family.

if i was on ur place i would protest and not let this happen

it just isnt correct at all

3. Ozibuna

Ozibuna Well-Known Member

Well there are other options you know. For example over here 3 years worth of college doesn't cost nearly as much. College tuition let's say at most 5k euros a year (and that's at the most difficult of domains), 250-350 euros per month for food, rent and transportation, so that sums up to a maximum average of 28k for 3 years of studies. That doesn't include scholarships for good grades and such, also a avg job would cover at least half of those expenses. Granted it isn't the same level of education but it is still good nonetheless. If you're interested at all pm me and we'll talk.

4. physician

physician Well-Known Member

also i offer u eastern europe..

200-250€/month for food and apartment
    tution fee for english programs from 3000-6000€ depending of the major...

u receive EU recognized diploma

if u r interested msg me