I lost someone I deeply cared about and I might lose someone else too

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by SkylaM18, Feb 7, 2018.

1. SkylaM18

SkylaM18 Public Access

When I was three years old, my twin brother got shot dead infront of me while I was walking home, I keep having nightmares and flashbacks to that event. I suffer from survivor’s guilt, everytime I turn around the corner of a corridor I’m scared to find myself facing the person who killed my brother with a gun pointing at me. I have pictures in my room of my brother and everytime I look st them I can’t help but feeling guilty, for not saving him, although I was small. I’m thirteen years old now, I’ve met a boy who I really love, he knows I love him but he doesn’t seem to care, I’m scared I could loose him too. Has anyone passed what I have passed, am I the only one with this situation?
  2. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

That's horrible, I'm sorry to hear that.

You were three years old, there was nothing that you could have done. Even if you were old enough to have done something, it still wouldn't have been your fault.

I think it's rare for someone your age to be able to be mature enough to provide someone with emotional support. It might be better to seek support from other sources, and maybe eventually he'll be able to accept and understand what you are experiencing.

Have you tried seeing a therapist about this?

There are other folks on the forums who have been traumatized by the murder of a relative. Maybe you would be able to connect with some folks here about this. You are by no means the only one who has experienced something like this