I`m going to Japan over the summer...

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by meowmeow, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meowmeow

meowmeow Member

I`m being hosted by a nice Japanese family consisting of a 17 year old girl, an 18 year old boy, and their parents who are in their 40`s.
    It`s very polite and custom to give gifts to people.
    I`m not sure what to bring to Japan from America that is "patriotic" or that they don't have or what they'd want.
    What do you think?

2. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

That's cool. I've always wanted to visit Japan.

I don't know much about life in Japan or Japanese culture, so I don't really have any ideas about what to get them. But I'm sure they will appreciate anything you give them, even if it's something they can get in Japan. These days you can pretty much get anything anywhere anyway.

Good luck, and I hope you have fun.

3. meowmeow

meowmeow Member

You should go visit then :D

And thank you

4. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

japan is amazing. i went there about three years ago and stayed with a host family too, and saving up to go back again.

make sure to give gifts at the start of your homestay, and then give some again at the end of your homestay. depending on the family they will either shower you with gifts throughout your stay (which happened to my friends that also came with me and stayed with different people), or they'll give you a whole heap of them at the end, like they did to me.

preferrably give gifts to each family member. they don't have to be big, per se but you gotta give em like you mean it. lol.

i gave the host dad a decorated paperweight, then i gave my host sister vegemite (she loves that stuff) and a dress (she came and visited me before so i guess it's a bit different...), and i gave the mother and older sister jewellery because i make it as a hobby. they loved it.

and then on the last night i gave them a big packet of minties (a kind of australian candy) and a stuffed toy koala and something else but i dont remember what.

make sure you wrap them or put them in a bag... and give and receive gifts with both hands. dont be surprised if they dont open it in front of you. if you want to open up stuff they give you in front of them, ask first. and be appreciative of whatever they give you. (and also dont brag about what you brought them, seem humble lol)

generally food is a good idea if you're not sure what to give. (also dont wrap anything entirely in white, or entirely in black -- they're funeral colours!)

theres a few things you're not meant to give but i dont remember what they are. they'll probably get over it though because you're gaijin and don't know the customs. if you're really not sure what they like, stick with food and souvenir-type things.

hope that's of some help.

and if you're clearly not asian looking (especially if say you have curly blonde hair or something) be prepared to have people fawning all over you. lol.

5. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

I will if I ever get the chance. I really want to visit Tokyo. A lot of people say it's too crowded, but I think it's beautiful. I'm a sucker for that hi-tech cyberpunk city look. What little I know about their culture does seem interesting and I think I would like it there. Plus, I'm a fan of a lot of things Japan has produced over the years, like their cars and video games... never really got into anime and all of that, but in fairness, I never really gave it a chance; so who knows, I might like it.

Also, great advice, deafmusician. I'm kind of a cultural idiot who has never been outside of the U.S. (except to Mexico on one occasion), so I never would have known any of that.

6. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I really want to go someday. I have money and would get vacation eventually from working. But I am just too shy and afraid to go alone, especially when being a "baka gaijin" that only knows English. That is the only thing stopping me, a lack of courage. I want to visit Tokyo and Akihabara the most. I fear I may die from suicide before ever visiting there. I'd want to visit there at least once before I die, but I fear it may never come true. : (
    I'd hope I'd also get some host family there or friends to help me out if I go there alone.....

I know many of them are quite curious about foreigners, but especially caucasians. They probably are treated the best out of any foreigners there. I most probably won't be treated as well being Indian, but oh well, I'd just have to go there and hope for the best. Life isn't fair you know?

7. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Congrats i've always wanted to go there myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.