I may finally agree with Obama on something

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mikeintx, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

2. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

What is it like in the US, because it's cheaper to get a mortgage than rent in Britain.

3. Mikeintx

Depends on where you live, could go either way.

4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It does depend on the region. Culturally, the United States has always encouraged house ownership over renting. That was part of the reason the mortgage industry became so convoluted and over-developed in the first place.

5. Mikeintx

Here in north texas you can find very affordable rentals as well as houses for sale. Back when I lived on the seacoast on NH you couldnt touch a house for under 250k tho, it was rediculous.

6. Zurkhardo

Well that would explain why Texas has seen it's population swell these past several years.

7. Mikeintx

Texas really is great Zurk. It is NOTHING like I thought it would be before i moved here. Beautiful weather. Green pastures everywhere. A booming economy here in Dallas/Fort Worth and very inexpensive, nice housing. I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

8. Zurkhardo

Good to know Mike. I hear more and more good things about it every day. It really isn't as socially backward as it often portrayed to be. Like any state, it has it's many subcultures and regions (especially being as big as it is). But I know the Dallas-Fort Worth area is pretty progressive.

9. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Living seaside is extremely expensive here, always has been.

You get more for less if you go inland.

We've a pretty large house on 32 acres in two towns and it ran us about 450K when we bought it.

Anyway you can live very cheaply depending where you are in NH, seacoast is pretty much prime location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.