I may quit my group sessions

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by sadhart, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

I started going to group counseling concerning my drinking. I'm starting to not like it. Most of the people in the group are there because they had their license suspended or their kids taken away so they have to be there. Most times we never really get anything accomplished, so the way it is is that you show up and "participate" and you get credit.

I'm there because I made the decision on my own. I had a desire to stop drinking because I don't want to end up getting in a situation that i can never get out of because of drinking. And that's the other problem...I find myself judging some of the other people. I'm no better than they are...so what if I chose to be there as opposed to it being an ultimatum or something? Besides, I want to drink because my life is never gonna get better anyway.

I'm sorry, but I just feel like a hypocrite for this.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Don't quit okay get out of the sessions what you can If you are there getting helpl it will be easier for your brain to say no next time you have that urge Keep working at it okay y ou are doing the right things
  3. Sephaus

Sephaus Well-Known Member

I can certainly understand why you would not want to attend anymore, that kind of group dynamic would piss me off too. How long have you been attending if you don't mind my asking? If it's been a while and that kind of activity is still going on I'd try maybe another group somewhere else because I would be irritated by what you're experiencing too
  4. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Don't worry about why other people are there. If you truly want to get better, all you need to worry about is you.
  5. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

Well the only reason why it bothers me is that it can be distracting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.