I need a miracle.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by yursomedicated, Dec 10, 2009.

1. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

Letter may be triggering.

Long story short, I'm trying to get to my best friend. Her dad doesn't trust me. Any criticism, good or bad is greatly needed. This is the only idea I have to get to her. I'm going to HANDWRITE the letter to him.

Mr B,
    As I'm wriing you this letter I'm making your daughter do her homework. I'm doing everything I can think of to get you to trust me enough to see her. I have been thinking of all the things I could possibly say to you for hours at a time. And right now I can't sleep because this is so important to me. I can honestly say that I can only think of one reason why I can't see her and that is only where we met. February last year, my friend Justin commited suicide. After that, I wanted to help people who suffer from mental illnesses. So I googled and found the forum where Katie and I met. I mostly replied to her threads about Derek. She told me everything. Obviously, I didn't want it to keep happening. If it wasn't for me, she would still be with her mom being abused by him. I talked her into moving in with you. As we got closer I needed her lifestyle to change. I made her choose between me or pills/alcohol. Because of me she hasn't abused either since the summer. Also, a set suicide date was canceled because of me. I can most likely say that Katie would probably not be here if I didn't meet her this summer. I got her ready for her first psychiatrist appointment. I forced her to tell me your email to stop Marissa from abusing her.That would probably still be going on today if I didn't tell you. Can I ask you one thing? What makes you happy? Your wife? Three kids? Parents and siblings? It's human nature that people make people happy. I can honestly say we both make eachother happy. People need support. You and Trish support her but we both know it is hard to talk to parents. You trust me enough to tell you if something is going on. And believe me, I will. I want Katie safe and happy. How can you possibly trust me without meeting me? I promise that I will prove to you that you can trust me. And if not then you never have to see me or hear my name ever again. I have never given you a reason not to trust me. I can assure you that I wont disappoint you. Katie will be happy. We both know she will be. Really, I'm begging you to just give me a chance. Everyone deserves a chance. I wont let you down.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I would not add begging him to give you a chance I would ask him what it would take for him to trust you what it is that he sees in you that upsets him so you can perhaps change it if needed Ask him if you could meet up with him and katie just to talk in person Get everything out in the open so there could be a new start. take care.

3. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Hi there Ronnie.
    Just looking over your letter, there are a few things that might bother me if I were her father.

"I'm making your daughter do her homework."

"I made her choose between me or pills/alcohol."

"I talked her into moving in with you."

" I forced her to tell me your email to stop Marissa from abusing her."

I know that all of these things must have had a positive impact on her and understand what you're trying to get across, but the terms you've used here sound very.. controlling. Might set the wrong tone and he may wonder if you'd manipulate her into other things. Not that you would, just thats what he may think.

"I can honestly say that I can only think of one reason why I can't see her and that is only where we met."

Are you assuming that this is why he doesn't want you to see her?

"If it wasn't for me, she would still be with her mom being abused by him."

"I can most likely say that Katie would probably not be here if I didn't meet her this summer."

"That would probably still be going on today if I didn't tell you."

And here, it seems like you're questioning his abilities as a parent. Especially where you say that she would have commited if you hadn't have been there for her to stop her. While I'm not saying that this is in fact what you are saying, he may well read it that way.

4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I think most of it is ok, but maybe leave out the part about when you ask him what makes him happy...it sounds a bit out of place in the letter.

But may I ask, what contact, if any, have you ever had with him? Has he given you an indication as to why he doesn't trust you?

What is the nature of your relationship to this point in general? Who's Marissa?

Will await your response. If you wish to continue via pm also, that is fine.

5. yursomedicated

idk i feel like i need to tell him those things rayne. and he knows who marissa is. i have pmed you back shades. any other things i could add?

6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

How about this? Its to the point, shows maturity and that you are serious.

As I'm writing you this letter, your daughter is doing her homework. I have been thinking of all the things I could possibly say that would show you I am trustworthy. This has become such an important issue that I can’t sleep. Last February my friend, Justin, committed suicide. This prompted me to search more about suicide and mental illnesses. I found a forum and befriended Katie. Responding to her threads about Derek, we became close friends and I managed to convince her to contact you and later move in with you. Since then she has been doing so much better. I am relieved that she now has a parent that cares and supports her the right way.

May I ask you why is it you do not trust me? I really want to be in Katie’s life and in yours. Please let me know how I can show you I am serious, honest and I won’t let you or Katie down. My main goal is to make Katie happy, that makes me happy.

Please give me a chance. You won’t regret it.

Sincerely, (your name here)

7. yursomedicated

going to rewrite it using some of your tips :)

8. morning rush

will you show it to us when you're done? Would love to see what you came up with...and also what happened when you submitted it...

9. yursomedicated

of course. probably going to rewrite it sometime this weekend.

10. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have the opportunity to write and re-write your letter here. I can see it is a very important letter to write.

Put your best foot forward and use positive words.

:hug:

11. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

if you ask me, the letter is o.k .

12. yursomedicated

As I’m writing this letter I’m motivating you’re daughter to do her homework. I have been thinking of all the things I could possibly say to you that would make you trust me. It literally consumes all my time. Last February, my friend Justin committed suicide. After that I wanted to help people who had the same feelings. I found the forum where I met Katie and we began talking all the time. After hearing about Derek, I wanted it to stop. I managed to convince her to think about living somewhere else. She told me she had a dad who loved and cared about her and I told her that would be a perfect place to go. Since then things have been going better. Her lifestyle has changed. She is in a safe place and she can always talk to me so she no longer abuses pills and alcohol. Also, a set suicide date was canceled because she realized all the love and support she has. I think most of the reason why Katie is doing better is because of me. She knows that she can always come to me about anything and that I will always support her. I also managed to convince her to talk to you about Marissa. She was more comfortable with me telling you so she gave me your email address. I thought maybe having contact with you would make you trust me more. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I really want to be a part of her life and yours. I really have never given you a reason to not trust me. Depression has been proven to decrease your motivation. If Katie goes to school every day or does her homework every night she can see me for a week in the summer. She needs some motivation and I think that is the perfect way to motivate her. It’s human nature that people make people happy. I can honestly say that we both make each other happy. Everyone deserves a chance. Give me one chance to prove to you that I won’t hurt Katie. Give me one chance to see her and if you don’t like me you never have to see me again. I think I deserve that one chance, and I know I won’t let you down. My main goal is to make Katie happy and that makes me happy.

You won’t regret letting me see her, I promise.

13. morning rush

I like it :stars: The only thing I would remove because to me it doesnt make much sense:

Depression has been proven to decrease your motivation.

Because the way its phrased it sounds like your saying he's depressed or something but it doesnt match the rest of the letter...

thats just my thought though.....

14. Entity

Entity Well-Known Member

I think it's written beautifully baby. :) good job

15. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I would change the part where you said,

" If Katie goes to school every day or does her homework every night she can see me for a week in the summer. "

It sounds as though you've made your mind up that she's going to see you for a week and that it was you who made that call, not her father who you are asking permission from. You should try presenting it as more of an idea, rather than something you've already decided on.

Other than that, good work!! :smile: