I need a push...

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by SonjaRot, Jan 27, 2018.

1. SonjaRot

SonjaRot Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but guess this is the only place where I could find support since I'm a loner.
    I need a slap in the face. I feel that it is time for a job change but is cant man up. Currently, I work night shifts, it's a heavy job and requires physical endurance. Of course, I'm a bad ass ( :D ) I can take it and I'm fine with everything but while my mind thinks this way, my body feels different. I feel my back is aching lately. Also since I hate sleeping during the day, I just (try to) stay awake most of the time and this lack of sleep is making me a bit retarded.
    This is so stupid because this job is perfect for me but my body is suffering so I know it would be best for me to look for something calmer...
    I think my ego is holding me back so I need some - don't be a sissy - motivation. I don't want to end up hurt for life, like unable to move freely and think clearly... but I'm also afraid that I won't find a job that is suitable for me and my lifestyle.
    This is so silly but well... what is your view on this?

2. sedamDanaLjeta

sedamDanaLjeta SF Supporter

Apply for new jobs and go for interviews during the day until you find one that will work for you. And yeah, listen to your body, it is a good indicator of what is going in this head of ours as well.
    SonjaRot and extraterrestrialone like this.
  3. brightlight

brightlight SF Supporter

It's ok to be a sissy, lighten up on yourself. I'm certainly not practicing what I preach on this one, but why leave the perfect job without trying out other avenues first, like treating yourself to a massage a couple of times a week and maybe learn some stretching exercises, swimming, meditation or (god forbid) yoga, soak in a hotub or bath , none of which i do myself, I do hard day's work and take an ibrufen tablet for the aches and pains.
    SonjaRot likes this.
  4. JmpMster

JmpMster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Ultimately- you will do what you decide. I think you can address several things-is it the job or the shift or both? Can you make any changes with current employer in duties or shift? It may be possible to simply improve your current job if you actually like the place.

The above advice sounded best to me- start applying for jobs, and until you actually are offered a job there is no need to actually make a decision. When you have a solid, real offer for another job- then go with what makes sense to you at that time. It allows you to upgrade jobs which is something everybody should look to do every 2- 3 years or so just to make sure they are getting their current market value for their skill set. Especially places like US where the economy has improved and workers are in such short supply and high demand- a dramatic change in the last 12 months or so. There has never been a better "workers market" to try and upgrade job in 95% of US.

If you apply around and find a better job, better pay, better benefits, etc., then you can choose to take it (or not- that is when you need to decide though-not before). If you apply around for 90 days and get no better offers then you are getting your current "market value" so feel better going to work that you are being fairly compensated for your area and skill set. The issues like physicality of job will always become an issue at some point, changing before there has been damage is certainly a better idea if it is possible (in my opinion). Nothing decreases value to potential employer more than currently being unemployed- or lowers your negotiating position more- so I would strongly suggest if possible and not physically damaging to find the new job prior to quitting current.
    SonjaRot likes this.
  5. extraterrestrialone

extraterrestrialone Well-Known Member

i agree with the above but just want to add that i felt i detected a bit of hesitance to actually go and look for the job. you know, procrastination. or maybe fear of not being able to find a better job. i may be all wrong and i think this part actually comes after the above advice, but here is advice i don’t listen to myself, that i believe that even if reluctant out of fear, if you do it anyway, you will get more skillful at it. the first interview may be hell but the next better and so on. i don’t konw that you need this advice but (maybe i do) but finding what it takes to go and get the job may be easier than you think once reality is carefully evaluated. for me i never evaluated reality so maybe i’m just sayig this to help myself. in that case thanks. but i hope this helps anyway!
    SonjaRot and BarryW like this.
  6. BarryW

BarryW Well-Known Member

Your morning owl picture is hilarious. You've got to think about not just what your body is OK with right now, but what is good for your body long-term? If you work your back or arms or legs or whatever too hard for several years, it could cause issues down the line. You've got to take care of your body because it's the only one you've got!

When you say you don't think you will find a job that is suitable for your lifestyle.. what is that lifestyle?
  7. SonjaRot

SonjaRot Well-Known Member

Ok, I may have used the wrong word, not lifestyle but character. I hate to be bossed around, so i need a job where I can be left alone... also I die internaly if i cant devote some time to my hobbies and exercising so I need a job which has normal working hours. Where I live it is really difficult to find a job where you can work less than 12 hours a day... if you are a drop out like me...

Thank you for your advice! You are right.... i took some isolation time and decided to quit this job, my body is not made for it. In long term my back would be ruined and .. hell no, i want to move, and if i will live till old age, i want to be an active granny. Im sure I will find something better, its possible!
    Thank you for your support! <3
  8. BarryW

BarryW Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delayed reply. Wow that's a big change you made, but it sounds like you gave it a lot of thought. I hope you are able to find good work for yourself next time. Maybe a nice balance of physical and mental work.
    Take care!
    SonjaRot likes this.