I need help telling people about my depression

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Vvaftb, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vvaftb

Vvaftb Member

Lately when I go to school it is hard for me to focus because I am trying to hard to look and act happy. I don't want to be that girl that brings everybody down. With my horrible mood but I know that hiding my depression is slowly killing me. How do you let those around you know that you are having a hard time finding the courage to live at the moment and ask them for their help or just ask them to listen? I have never been a person who talks about their feelings but lately I really want to let it out and I need to let it out otherwise I think that my suicidal thoughts will get the better of me. Help me please I have no idea where to begin.

2. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Hello welcome to SF, I am sorry you are struggling so badly. It's always hard telling those around you, the fear the trying to get the words out. Could you start by telling your family, so that you can go to the doctors and talk it through with someone professional?

I know it's hard to get the words out, perhaps you could write them a letter or just a note to start things off, I really hope you do find it in you to talk to someone and reach out because I am sure family and friends will want to help and support you.

Take care

Rich

3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the SF. You are young and you need to speak to a school counsellor. You have nothing to fret about as you are brave to post here. You have your whole life in front of you.

Post your emotions here as we can help you. You have nothing to worry about as there are others who feel the same way. Keep posting to release the emotion you feel. Remember you are not suffering alone in your crisis.

Life can be tough but It's about taking one day at a time. You will be fine but keep posting here.

4. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Glad you have found SF. Its a great group of people who will support you through this difficult time.

I totally agree with incrisis99. Talk to you school counsellor or nurse. They should be knowledgeable about depression and methods to cope. And do let your parents know. Consider seeing a doctor who can prescribe medications that will help ease the depression. There are a lot of options out there. I am glad you are seeking help.

5. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Agreed with crisis99 talking to a counselor can start the ball rolling for you

6. Maura

Maura Member

You are very brave, carrying the burden of your depression alone. That's really heavy, because next to dealing with your own feelings, you're worried about how others might feel about it and so you have to pretend to be something you're not right now. I think that telling others how you're doing is a very good decision, one that can help.

Just some thoughts that might help a bit:

-> everyone is responsible for their own mood and feelings. You can never be 'that girl that brings everybody down'. It is not your responsibility to keep everyone happy. Demanding attention or constantly complaining about everything may not be the best thing to do, but you really don't sound like that type of person.

-> by pretending you're happy you keep people at a distance. People who might care about you, want to know you and help you. Maybe you (and even they) won't realize it at first, but showing others how you're really doing is a gift to those around you, not a burden.

-> you wrote you were having a hard time 'at the moment'. It is so, so good that you realize that what you're struggling with right now is a temporary thing, that can and will go away.

I agree with the others; it's always hard to tell someone, and talking to a counselor (someone who has experience with these things), can be the best place to start. If that doesn't feel right yet, find someone you trust. Good luck :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.