I need help to stop having nightmares.

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by boo, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

So I had another shitty sleep. Waking up in cold sweat. Funny since it's hot as hell and i had a big fan blowing right in face. I'm tired of waking up feeling like crap. Sleeps are supposed to rejuvinate your body and mind, not in my case. No surrey bob... Now i have to spend the rest of the day with my head up in the clouds.
    I really need techniques to stop having nightmares. I do know if i get high before sleep then i won't be having nightmares. But i can't afford to do so everytimes. And alcohol, meh, i hate alcohol. This is so troublesome! Mister Sandman, please DON'T bring me a dream! HELP!
  2. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Ohh, I absolutely hate nightmares! They're the worst!

Sometimes it helps me to try and make myself as relaxed as possible before going to sleep. I'll shower, drink a cup of chamomile tea, and then read or watch tv (something pleasant and NOT scary!).

Of course, that doesn't always work. I'm not sure why it works, but sleeping with the light on helps a lot. I think its maybe because I wake up frequently in the middle of the night, so I never get into a deep sleep. Also, sometimes I set an alarm for every two hours or so. I don't wake up completely - just enough to turn the alarm off, but it will interrupt my dreams at least. I don't know that these suggestions are helpful though, because interrupted sleep probably interferes with REM cycles I think?

anyways, good luck. I sympathize with you
  3. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I find that when I am having one of my "spells" or "runs" of nightmares - I seem to have my nightmares in blocks of time versus every night - that having my computer set to a playlist of motivational and/or uplifting talks stops them...I am banking on the fact that my brain is still hearing the messages and soothing my psyche but who knows..it works for me..
  4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a surefire way to not have nightmares...
    I have them at times-- some that I can control; and others where I can't do anything at all and wake up screaming.

I find that personally; your state of mind (of course) affects your dreams as well as the environment you're sleeping in. I rarely dream when I go to bed cold. I sleep with 5 blankets on just to give myself the most restful sleep possible for me.

I've heard that different medications; or even quit-smoking aids will give people very vivid, bad dreams... so there's probably a known medication out there to make a person stop having bad dreams; or just stop dreaming alltogether?
  5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

What I do after I've had a string of nightmares is listen to very slow music, sitting up in bed, until I drift off. When I wake up (not really awake) I take my headphones off and slide back to sleep. For some reason, this seems to help, and 90% of the time I either will not dream, or my dreams will be strange, but not nightmares.
  6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

sometimes what we eat or drink before bedtime can give us nightmares..
    :donut: :cake: :popcorn: :coffee:
  7. thrillseeker

thrillseeker Active Member

I had a problem with nightmares for awhile, which were mostly attributed to meds at the time, but I found that getting back into working out helped a lot. Especially if you do it a few hours before bed time. Try going for a jog 2 hours after a really hearty supper. It should help tire you out and ease your mind if it's usually racing late at night.
  8. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

you get dreams/nightmares to deal with shit in real life, what might help is simply talk about whats going on, you dont talk a lot, but maybe just not to me, but would be nice if they would dissapear by just simply talking, right
  9. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I can't talk to you cause you ALWAYS go to bed at around 8pm eastern... :sigh: And how my nightmares could possibly help me deal with stuff in life... :sad:

PS: i always talked to you missy :dry: Don't be demanding...
  10. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

yeah i know, sorry that i go to bed so early and that im so demanding, i will shh >.<
  11. MaNg0s

MaNg0s Well-Known Member

Yeah I get nightmares nightly too usually about the same thing. But being high when I fall asleep does not usually stop the dreams. It sucks and there is no way of stopping it.
  12. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I know there's a way. You must find yours cause not everything work the same for everyone. :hug:
  13. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

I find chamomile tea helpful and relaxing.
    Perhaps some nice relaxing music and have it play throught the night while you sleep.

Study before you go to sleep, this may sound kinda strange and boring but it gives the mind something to work out. Try doing a math problem, before you go to bed and fall asleep thinking about it. In your dreams your mind might try to figure it out. At least it's better than a nightmare.

Other types of problems might be helpful too. Riddles, and stuff like that.

Oh, and also people who study at night remeber and learn things 40% better so it might be really beneficial.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.