I Need Help

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Ineedhugs, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Ineedhugs

Ineedhugs Member

I have been doing SH on and off since I was 13 and had stopped for about 6 years.

Recently I had a MAJOR trigger and started again. Going up and downhill all the time and I really dont know where to turn to. A few people know but my family dont.

Im SCARED one day I'll go too far

2. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I know that feeling! I stopped hurting myself for 3 years until a few months ago when my relationship got really bad and my stress levels were just way too high. Do you have a neutral person you can talk to, like a counselor or a therapist? Do you have any techniques to deal with the stress and anxiety so that you don't SH?

3. Ineedhugs

Ineedhugs Member

I dont have a therapist or anything.

No ways of dealing with the SH apart from going down that route!

4. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

Hello Ineedhugs, I am Mox

I am not going to lie to you , and tell you I understand about SH. Because I do not SH.

But could you explore other non-permanent methods of SH , such as ice cubes or an elastic band or kneeling on a broomstick. Something that will cause you pain, but will not leave a scar?

I would personally love to hear more about you and what you are going through. I encourage you to post your story in the My Story forum. There people will read your story and try to offer you suggestions on how to improve things. Trust me you will better , sharing your pain , instead of suffering in silence. Here you are safe, no one will ridicule you or judge you in any fashion. That BS is not tolerated here. If you get really bored you can read my personal story below in green, and know that you are not alone in pain. When you are here, we embrace you , just as you are. But for us to help you , you have to share your pain. Never be ashamed of anything while you are with us.

Feel free to IM/PM me anytime, if you want to chat. I love to chat with different people.

Take Care my new friend =)

5. bythelowtide

bythelowtide Active Member

Hey ineedhugs, I can relate. I too struggled with SH when I was 13 up for several years and then again when I was about 20. Do you know what triggered it? Is there a way for you to avoid those triggers, at least in the meantime until you can see that SH is not the answer. You are important, you don't need to do that to yourself.

6. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I'm sorry to hear that, there isn't enough help for people like us in the medical community, it's such a taboo, when I used to cut, I never told doctors out of fear that I'd be thought insane or something. I guess the best thing to do is avoid the triggers in the future, like @bythelowtide suggested. That doesn't help you right now though...what if you called a suicide help line just to talk it out? I did that once when I felt like cutting and they were very good in talking me out of it. Can you distract yourself in any way?

bythelowtide likes this.
  7. bythelowtide

Do you remember what kind of things they said on the helpline?

8. Ineedhugs

Ineedhugs Member

Its very hard for me to avoid the triggers

9. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Gosh that was back in 2003...well, they basically were there to listen to me. They would ask me firstly if I was suicidal, I convinced them I wasn't, so I guess that's why the flashing red lights didn't turn up at my door...I told them that it was my psychiatrist who suggested I call if I needed help so they took me seriously. They asked me what triggered the anxiety where I felt the only way to release it was to cut; I told them and I remember they tried to put things in perspective for me. Also, they suggested that I take an elastic band and put it around my wrist and just snap it a little while I did some deep breathing. Like @moxman suggested, they also suggested holding ice cubes until I couldn't take it anymore. They told me to distract myself, I told them I had dogs, they suggested a long walk...that's about all I can remember, but mostly what I remember is that they just listened to me and responded without judgment.

@Ineedhugs : it took me years to get away from my triggers, please hang in there and don't give up!

bythelowtide likes this.
  10. Ineedhugs

Ineedhugs Member

I will never get away from them, they are in my head and my dreams!!!!!

11. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

How were you able to stop for 6 years? Can you use the same method that worked for you before?

12. Ineedhugs

Ineedhugs Member

It wasnt for the whole 6years but every single day is difficult

13. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Hugs. Do you have a list of distractions?

14. Ineedhugs

Ineedhugs Member

What does that do to stop me SH

15. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

When you feel the urge to self-harm, you can try to delay it by doing something else. Such as snapping an elastic band, holding ice, reading or whatever you want. Then you can go for longer periods of time without self-harming.

16. Ineedhugs

Ineedhugs Member

Sorry that doesnt work for me

17. bythelowtide

@Ineedhugs What is your thought process with SH? Why do you feel the need to do it?

18. Ineedhugs

Ineedhugs Member

To hurt and to help the way Im feeling

19. bythelowtide

Do you feel like you deserve to hurt or do you just like the feeling?

20. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Please try the elastic band, I use it for SH purposes and it has worked for me since I joined this forum.