i need help

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ccd, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccd

ccd New Member

I can't go back into therapy, it just makes me want to cut or burn myself more. They try to dig into my issues too much and the most it does it remind me why I am the way I am in the first place. I need to stop, when I got o my college classes or have a date with my fiance I know they can see what I'm trying to hide and it has gotten me into trouble but I can't seem to stop when something bad happens, cutting has been an important part of my life for the past 7 years and it's all I know to go back to if something happens to set me off.

talking it out before it happens, I've tried with people who i know love me and with therapists, they literally get pissed at me everytime I say that I'm thinking it like they expect me to just stop right there. Sooooo that's out

Rubber bands: smack them against my wrist to feel the pain but not cause real harm, it worked ofr a couple years but then something major happened to me and that little sting of pain didn't cut it anymore, tried it recently and it just doesn't seem to give the same release.

hitting a pillow, yelling, crying, etc.: never has worked. I start hitting a pillow and screaming and my mind jumps to the other alternative.

I need help...please....
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i think you need a new therapist
    a good therapist will conduct therapy at your pace, so you are not triggered and feeling like you need to self harm afterwards
    a good therapist will understand that sometimes, despite all your best efforts, you are going to self harm. they will help you manage those urges, not get you to shut up about them
    i believe that you will stop when you are ready to stop. and that happens when you heal from the trauma that caused you to start. do that work, and you will be able to stop.
  3. ccd

ccd New Member

I wouldn't even know where to begin to look for a good therapist that is willing to do help me rather than sit there and think that they are so far above me and my problems when this is what they signed on to do for their careers
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i know it's hard to find a good therapist

i had a couple of crappy ones until i met my current therapist.

all you can do is interview a bunch and wait until you click with someone

easier if you live in a big city like i do, maybe you live somewhere where there are fewer options. sorry if that's the case

i'm not sure what issues you are dealing with, but keep posting here. collectively we've been through a lot and are always willing to listen.

5. ccd

ccd New Member

I live in a smaller town, we have 4 therapists
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.