I need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite possibly feeling lower than I've ever felt before. I'm to the point where, if I don't get some professional help very quickly, I won't be here much longer.

But I have no money. If I have to pay out of pocket for professional help, I'll just be worse off. And i can't find anywhere around here that'll give me the help I need. It's funny, you go and get yourself hooked on drugs, want to quit smoking, quit drinking, there's plenty of free programs out there, but if you're so far down that you feel like turning yourself off, you have to pay through the nose. Gee, thanks.

What can I do? Where can I go?

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
Not au fait with USA medical establishments, but surely if you went to an emergency room they could do something for you :unsure:
In the meantime, even tho its not a professional body, the Samaritans will at least lend you a listening ear so that you don't feel quite so alone with it.

Not au fait with USA medical establishments, but surely if you went to an emergency room they could do something for you :unsure:
Yes, that's true. Hospitals and ER's are obliged to treat anyone looking for help. I know, I've been. I'm still paying the bill.

They'll treat. They'll also charge.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
You could talk to the befrienders or the samaritans or free, they are great services and free of charge but unfortunately they do not offer advice, just a listening ear. Try it though, it might help somewhat, good luck x

Why have you not applied for assistance and begun using the public mental health system available in your state?
(no cost; low cost; sliding scale)

Based on your profile location, it took me only a few seconds with Google to locate your local NAMI office. They can help guide you to services that are no cost, or that you can afford: http://www.namiwisconsin.org/affiliate-by-county.cfm?countyID=18
I talked with my local government Health and Human Services people. They were totally dumbfounded and baffled when I went in looking for help, like they'd never heard of any free counseling solutions before. Besides, I've only been living in this area for 2 months, and probably don't qualify for government assistance from this state.

And as far as NAMI goes, the only thing that i found on their website were programs for families and friends of people with mental illness; nothing for the sufferers themselves.

You could talk to the befrienders or the samaritans or free, they are great services and free of charge but unfortunately they do not offer advice, just a listening ear. Try it though, it might help somewhat, good luck x
I don't need an ear, I need someone to tell me what do do.

Ok, fine, here you go:

Like I said, I moved from Minnesota to Wisconsin at the beginning of June. I moved to get away from where I was, and moved in with my only real friend (or so I thought; more on that later) who happened to be going to school out here. I had a job in MN with a location in my new residency, so I just transferred out to this location. Everything was fine for the first week or so.

Then I got fired. It doesn't matter why, it just matters that i got fired.

Great. Now I'm in a brand new location with no method of supporting myself. And so began the job hunt. All the while, two things were happening. Number one: I'm running out of money. This means no gas, no laundry, and no rent. I owe my roommate over $500 because she covered me for July rent as well as other essentials. I've been wearing the same scuzzy clothes over and over again because I can't pay to do laundry, and i stink and am filthy constantly. Number two: my roommate and only real friend starts treating me like garbage. Totally condescending, argumentative statements. Everything must be her way, and god help me if I disagree with her. My only friend is turning out to be not so friendly.

Fast forward a few weeks. I finally score a job. Good, now I can get back on my feet, right? Well, hang on a second...

My first day of working, I showed up a half hour late, and was wearing the wrong pants for the job. I showed up late because I thought I was showing up when my boss told me to, and I was wearing the wrong pants because i misread the dress code. Mistakes happen, right? Shouldn't be a big thing?

My boss tells me that he's not sure that he wants to continue my employment. For being late and wearing the wrong pants. So, after only an hour's worth of work, I'm on the chopping block again for simple and small mistakes.

I tell my roommate (who has no affiliation with this company outside of being a customer) that I'm potentially about to be fired. Is she concerned about me losing my job? Is she reassuring that it'll all work out in the end? No. The only thing that she's worried about is how this will affect her reputation with this company. Which is the most self-centered thing I have ever heard from almost anyone, much less my only friend.

I've tried reaching out to people via Facebook, or hell, even making jokes or witty statements, practically crying out for attention. I just get ignored. Nobody responds. Nobody even hits the 'Like' button. I watch everyone else on my News Feed get showered with attention while I'm ignored. I don't know where else to turn.

And before anyone says anything about moving out: I can't go anywhere. My credit is terrible, and i actually had to get my roommate's mom to cosign the lease for me so that i could even move in here. I have to live out my 1-year lease so that i might be able to get a landlord recommendation letter to move in to my next place. Maybe.

Already diagnosed with depression. Meds aren't really helping, and my doc is back in MN, so it's a little difficult to contact him and adjust it.

So. There you go.

Oh, yeah, and did I mention that I have zero romantic prospects or hopes of any kind? I haven't even been on a date in almost five years. So that knocks me down even further.

I talked with my local government Health and Human Services people. They were totally dumbfounded and baffled when I went in looking for help, like they'd never heard of any free counseling solutions before. Besides, I've only been living in this area for 2 months, and probably don't qualify for government assistance from this state.

And as far as NAMI goes, the only thing that i found on their website were programs for families and friends of people with mental illness; nothing for the sufferers themselves.

Department of health is the wrong place to go. You need a state funded MHMR. As long as you have residence, regardless how long, they will serve you. As for NAMI, you need to go to the website to get their contact info and then contact them directly (a telephone). There is assistance out there, but it will require a little work on your end to isolate the assistance best suited for you.

...and then contact them directly (a telephone). There is assistance out there, but it will require a little work on your end to isolate the assistance best suited for you.
I know what contacting someone directly means; don't treat me like an idiot. I came here for help, not to be belittled and condescended to. If I wanted that, I'd have just asked my roommate.

It's that kind of crap that sent me here in the first place. Although now, I'm not sure why.

Oh, and by the way, it's now official that this asshole has fired me after an hour's worth of work. I don't know what my roommate's going to say about it, but it's probably not going to help at all.

It's now been more than 18 hours since anyone posted on here. Not including this post, there have been 11 posts in this topic. I've posted 7 of them. Over 75%.

I told you my story, just like someone suggested. No one seemed to care. The one place that i have left to turn to for help, and I'm abandoned. Just like everywhere else.

Goodbye, SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00