I need therapy but I am afraid.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Unregistered5654, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been very depressed for months now and I also have AVPD. Just recently I have been kind of wanting to get my life back together but I am scared to go to therapy.
    I'm scared of calling the health region. I'm scared of being judged when I ask for help. I'm scared that they'll stick me in group therapy and I won't be able to talk. I'm scared that they'll just put me on medication and I'll have to live my life doped up all the time. I'm scared that I won't like the therapist and I won't be able to ask to get transferred to a different one. I'm scared to uncover things that I have spent so long trying not to think about. I'm scared that I will never get better. I'm scared that I will not be able to open up to a therapist. I'm scared of what people will think if they find out I go to therapy. I'm scared that I will cry in front of the therapist. I'm scared of leaving my house.
    I have to try it because I can't go on like this.

Has anyone called a centralized intake place for psych patients rather than getting referred by a physician? I don't have a family physician right now so it's just easier to do it that way. If you have, what did you say and what kind of questions did they ask?

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I live in the US so I have not used these services, but wanted to support you in getting the therapy you want...yes, it feels like a fearful experience, but I have found that it is has been critical to me being in the world...all the best, J

3. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

Hi, first of all i'm glad that you realize you need therapy, most people will deny this and therefore they won't get the help they need in order to get better :(
    I, myself was under psychological treatment for about a year, needless to say it is scary at first, i can really sympathize with your feelings of apprehension right now; it's scary talking to a complete stranger about your feelings.
    As far as the therapy itself, well it really helped me during that time, i can't thank my psychologist enough. So i think you should just go ahead and do it, you'll soon see it's not even close to how scary you thought it would be, and if by any chance you don't like your therapist, don't be scared to ask to be referred to another one; it's very important that you feel comfortable with the person you're talking to.
    All the best xx

4. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

There is this quote i like to say, "Courage is not the absence of fear but the judgement that there is something more important than fear." Redmoon

And you have made the judgement that you need therapy, yes as you have imagined you scared out of your brains of all the possible fears you have, but there is a will in you that knows what you need this.

good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.