I need to quit

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by PyRoK, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PyRoK

PyRoK Member

I have only been smoking for 1 1/2 years but it seems like everytime I try to quit something goes wrong and I relaspe. I need some advice about how to quit. Stress has got me going crazy and I smoke when I'm stressed. I'm up to a pack every 2 to 3 days.
  2. LoD

LoD Well-Known Member

Nicotine patches would help, or so I've heard. I guess you have have to want to stop and try to stop in less stressing periods. Summer would be a good time, I guess.. Or autumn, which to me is the most relaxing time. If you want to stop, stop in a time that's relaxing to you.

And be strong. :p
  3. Smythe

Smythe Well-Known Member

The gum helped me a bit.
    Although getting sick with a horribly sore throat for a few days
    was just good timing I guess.
    So get yourself some nicorette and find someone with
    strep throat :p
    seriously though, Good luck
  4. willgethere

willgethere Well-Known Member

5. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

EEEkk. the gum made me sick and tastes nasty. :yuk:

also.. try chewing regular gum and hard candies.. they says your blood sugar goes up when you smoke, so when you stop one of the reasons you get grouchy is because your blood sugar goes down.
  6. When I took the gum I didn't realise it was a bad thing to still smoke while you were chewing it (all that nicotine at once isnt exactly good for you)... gets you sick! but the gum on it's own only helped for a week.

I'm of the firm belief that you can only quit when you're ready to. You can want to as forcefully as you like but it doesnt seem to work. When you're ready you'll be able to, even when something does happen. well that's what I think anyway... I've only been smoking a few years and already it's at that point where I can't quit for the life as me, as hard as I try.

Best of luck!
  7. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

I just happened to read, in a Psychology textbook, about the five (necessary) stages of quitting smoking.

They are..

2. Contemplation
    3. Preparation
    4. Action
    5. Maintenance

You're already into step two :)

I would suggest trying not to be around people who smoke, so that the scent doesn't pull you back into the habit.

90% of former smokers were able to quit smoking by themselves (without even the help of a support group.)

After quitting for 5 years, you will be at the same risk of having a stroke as a non-smoker. After 10 years, you'll be at the same risk as a non-smoker for getting lung cancer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.