I never learn

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by amylou, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amylou

amylou Well-Known Member

I burnt my leg so badly I needed a skin craft the pain hurt a bit.
    Why on earth do I not use this as my wake up call?
    The simple answer is I cant Im in to much pain.

It really annoys me that some people lable selfharmers as spastics or attention seeking.

2. consciousinsane

consciousinsane Well-Known Member

I"ve never burned myself but i cut alot. I just wanted to say i don't understand why we get labeled as wanting attention either. it's not like we go around showing off our cuts and burns. if anything we try to hide and cover them up. the fact they do that just makes me more depressed.

Sorry you had to burn. That's too much pain for me. I hope you are coping ok now. I hear aloe is supposed to help with burns.... hang in there!

3. amylou

amylou Well-Known Member

The trouble is some people are to ignorent to understand or take the time to understand its only a few people that are like this. But I ve met them along the way as Im sure others have as well

4. total_edge

total_edge Guest

i totally agree with you amylou , it is so hard everyday hiding it....
    we are not seeking attension , im even afraid to go out , who knows
    if i get hurt and have to go to a hospital, then what??
    anyways, if u dont do it , u dont know how it is...
    [not that i reccomend it to anyone :blink: ]

i hope u r feeling better

5. amylou

amylou Well-Known Member

I dont bother to hide it now if people want to be ignorant then they can be.
    I just dont like the fact that my quack thinks its just an addiction etc if I could stop I would I dont do it for the fun of it.

6. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

It annoys me to, because it's not about attention. For me, it is just something that calms me down and helps me deal with stress. I read somewhere that it releases a hormone (or was it a chemical) called endorphins that calm you down, and they are very addicting, thats why its so hard to stop.

7. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

People think because they don't understand or know about something, that it's bad or doesn't exist, as if our pain doesn't exist because they have never expeirienced it. People seem to be scared of the unknown, and this is like that to them. Altho it is painful when people lable and blow off the person cuz they don't understand, which isn't right, but you can't change there minds, they'll always be people like that, but know there will always be ones that understand and have expeirienced it too, that will be there for you. And please for sure know that we understand and are here for you to support you.

And I can understand what you mean about being in so much pain, and people think that because we hurt ourselves we are either freaks who like pain or we are after attention and that's not it, we are trying to take away the huge amount of pain we go through everyday, every breath.

Just try and take it one day at a time. And don't stress yourself out, try and do your best and if you make a mistake don't condim yourself for it, just remember there are ups and downs in the path of getting better and recovery.

Take care of yourself and if you need to talk remember I am here for you sweetie. And we all care and understand. :hug: :rose:

:handinhan,
    Carolyn.

8. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

that is the best way I have ever heard it described.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.