I post a philosophical question to you all....

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Abacus21, Oct 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

2. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

huh? :unsure:

you mean the photo? as in, is the photo reality?

I don't know. never been to Hawaii

Bookem Danno :biggrin:

3. Just_a_guy

Just_a_guy Well-Known Member

How do you define reality? :D

4. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

It's is whatever you determine ''Reality?'' to mean, Bill. I'm pretty spaced out at the moment, purely through my own brain's chemicals, which is pretty cool :laugh:

5. Just_a_guy

Ahh, i see, interesting :D

then id say definitely maybe! :D

6. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

brain chemicals huh? I've heard that one before :dry:

j/k :tongue:

if it vaz der big island, wouldn't there be lots of cruiseships anchored
    off shore? and more touristas? it could be Hawaii. like I said, it's one
    of the places I haven't been, he said smugly :wink:

never been to russia neither. word has it ya can see Governer Palins
    house from Russia :laugh:

and likely one of McCains flats could be spotted somewhere in the
    Hawaiian islands.

anywayz, I dunno. looks purdy, whereever it is. is this a trick question?

7. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

No, it isn't a trick question :laugh: - I was just questioning the following, basically: ''How do we know what reality is?''

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

We use our senses. Our senses are both subjective and deceptive.

We're screwed.

9. Just_a_guy

Now that i thought about it, reality is a pretty broad concept, thanks for making me lose my good night's sleep :mad: :tongue:

Im more of a mathematician than philosopher but I think you need a universal definition for reality and then determine what we can assume to be reality with the limited information we can get our hands on.

Wikipedia says its "the state of things as they actually exist".

"The term reality, in its widest sense, includes everything that is, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible. Reality in this sense may include both being and nothingness, whereas existence is often restricted to being (compare with nature). In other words, "reality", as a philosophical category, includes the formal concept of "nothingness" and articulations and combinations of it with other concepts (those possessing extension in physical objects or processes for example)."

Maybe that gives some more insight but im too tired to think about it now, night guys :D

10. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

oh, ok...gotcha. we don't. we assume and proceed on that basis.
    good question actually. is it really a photo of Hawaii? whether it is or
    it aint, it looks purdy enough. but it would only be capable of 'simulating'
    reality if we could walk on the wet sand in our bare footsies. then, if
    it was an illusion? who cares? good illusion. at least it looks good from
    that one pic. which may or may not be photoshopped. if there are no
    cannibals sneaking up behind the photographer, it's likely a pretty good
    reality and/or illusion. could be Cuba for all I know. maybe Hawaii. as stated,
    I aint been thar. I'm pretty sure it aint russia :laugh:

11. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I disagree with this sentiment, in the sense that I think there is something separate and distinct from [the entity known as gmork who occasionally posts at SuicideForum]. By this I mean I don't think we can ever be quite sure that what we are perceiving is in fact reality, simply that there is something 'out there' to be perceived. And that over this something I have only the most limited of abilities to change. IOW, I don't think my thoughts define reality, but also admit the possibility that (a) what I'm perceiving is a distortion of reality and also (b) that reality is impossible to finally perceive.

As to the image of Hawaii? Ignoring the possibility that it is a flawless CG bit of artistry, I think it probably was consistent with my prior perceptions of tropical or sub-tropcial areas (I have never been to Hawaii but I have been to Florida and Bermuda) and the reports of others whom I trust (my wife has been to Hawaii, various other people I have no reason to doubt have been there) that I see no reason to doubt that I would have perceived that stretch of water in a fashion quite similar to the way it is represented in that picture. (At that time and on that date when the picture was taken, if you wish to get picky.)

In the final analysis it might not BE reality, but I would doubtless act as if it were such.

Or to take away all this discursive and noodling typing, probably the quote in my signature from Philip K. Dick is about as accurate a reflection of my view as any.

12. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

From our limited perceptions and ability to gather information. I'm a believer in metaphysical objectivism, that reality exists independent of human perception but is still viewed through it's limited focus. I don't think it's the case that we can never know the world around us, it's just easy to get it wrong.

13. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i cannot bring myself to believe in a singular reality, i follow the ideas of korzybski and also one of the biggest influences on my life, robert anton wilson.
    we already know our brains pro-actively create reality to some extent and to me 'nuerological reality tunnels' seem to make the most sense.

14. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

I suppose reality is a creation of our mind, made up from the experiences and moral challenges we have faced in our life so far. Peoples definition of "reality" varies so much that it is impossible for there to be one common meaning for the word.

I believe that the reason we have a universal understanding of what is normal and what is crazy is because the majority of us are pretty ignorant. Humans are pack animals, and we behave accordingly. We believe what is real because the rest of society does, and for us to believe anything else would mean we are ridiculed and outcast from society. In the same way that an albino wolf is outcast from the pack.

When someone says they were visited by aliens, we dont think he's crazy because its impossible for that to happen, we think hes crazy because everyone else thinks he's crazy, and for us to think otherwise would make others turn on us.

15. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

now THAT makes sense. is there any amoung us, meaning US on the festering
    planet, not necessarily the forum who got it RIGHT?

nobody still alive, me thinks. I think a few have passed thru, but they are no longer with us.

we are a species who have collectively got it WRONG as wrong can get. no clear way in sight
    to make up for the the thousands of years of lunacy.

but, the key phrase I personally gleaned from your post is that It IS what it IS. no matter how
    each individual views it, all incorrectly of course :biggrin: it nevertheless remains to be what it is.

just the way IT IS. nothing we can do to change it. it be a pile of chit. a rose by any other name
    is still a pile of chit.

how we choose to view it or what parts we choose to view with tunnel
    vision is still obviously an individual choice. still the same chit pile, however Abacus, or bhawk, or
    anon or me or anyone sees it, it is still a great huge pile of chit.

even if one is lying on Ab's alleged Hawaiian beach with ones bikini babe
    and sipping rum drinks with little umbrellers, knowing the natives hate yer
    guts and wish you'd go back to wherever the hell ya came from puts a
    hitch in my own personal gitalong. not quite a swell vacation really.

an unsavory unhappy unrewarding miserable world. that is truly reality.

buff it up with cars and bars and movie stars and pretty shiny shit and it's
    still a hellhole.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  16. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

Reality: you stand on the sidewalk watching a bus careening at you at 50 miles per hour.

you say to yourself "that bus is only there because I THINK it is there. here, I'll prove it"

ya steps in front of da bus. it squashes yer ass flat. that is reality. I find it is best to accept it on it's own terms whether it looks like a miserable dreary proposition or not.

it still IS. it is what it is. the end. by henry gibson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.