I quit my job today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToHelp

Was just part-time job, fairly inconsequential to my sustainment. I still live very well, going by a standard if measurement I learned long ago: I can buy whatever I like without a thought when I go to the grocery market. lol

There was a time in my life when I did live poor. I'm 44 now but during my thirties, I bought and lived on the cheap. (Raman Noodles, anyone!!? :smile:)

Now I enjoy a separate income source (long story, personal) and... it feeds and clothes me, you know? Leaving a job after two years because of dissatisfaction is never a happy occasion though--the new manager (about six months in) just chronically lied, promising hours that never materialized.

This was becoming a stressor in my life in itself. I was slow to come around--ahh, but once I *saw* the pattern, I finally just said enough and I cut my losses. I wasn't stupid though, and left on very good terms.

So I am now back to jobless but free.

It's inherently sad, though :sad: and that's why i'm posting about it. :sad: I had a place there; I belonged. I had a role and a purpose. Does anybody understand?

I wasn't born for retail and "pushing sales" though and am thinking about maybe some kind of online editing or writing for hire by the piece. Ha - my mind tells me "not likely" but let's see... there's Monster.com, CareerFinder.com.

Anybody think of anything else?

I'm skeptical, which is ridiculous because the fact is "you NEVER know until you try." Right? :biggrin:

:loopy::piano:​

ToHelp
needs help maybe

Dreamer uk

Hi mate

Sorry to hear that job didn't work out in the end, I'm sure you'll find something else. I'm not working at the moment so I now how it feels.

Hope you sort something else, at least you have some extra freedom for a while, take care

ToHelp

Thanks, Mark.

We all want to feel valued. We, each of us, search for a worthy purpose in life. When you find out that something you've invested your energies in was just a façade all along, the experience can be very disillusioning.

That's why I made this topic--to spill and not keep the hurt inside. The slow "coming around"; the realization itself, can be very detrimental to people subject to depression, esp. when the job is in essence substituting for family and friends.

I'll be okay though. I staunchly resist self-termination, always holding out hope. To reiterate, I quit pretty much because the letdowns simply began to outweigh the benefits. But there's tomorrow, and with it the hope of which I was speaking.

:smile: Thanks,
ToHelp

ToHelp

hammockmonkey

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you at your job. It is good that you left on good terms and when you knew you couldn't take it anymore.

check out craigslist.org they have a section for writing. Many businesses are looking for people with "soft" skills, like writing, editing, etc.

Good luck on your hunt!

LetItGo

Staff Alumni
Was just part-time job, fairly inconsequential to my sustainment. I still live very well, going by a standard if measurement I learned long ago: I can buy whatever I like without a thought when I go to the grocery market. lol

There was a time in my life when I did live poor. I'm 44 now but during my thirties, I bought and lived on the cheap. (Raman Noodles, anyone!!? :smile:)

Now I enjoy a separate income source (long story, personal) and... it feeds and clothes me, you know? Leaving a job after two years because of dissatisfaction is never a happy occasion though--the new manager (about six months in) just chronically lied, promising hours that never materialized.

This was becoming a stressor in my life in itself. I was slow to come around--ahh, but once I *saw* the pattern, I finally just said enough and I cut my losses. I wasn't stupid though, and left on very good terms.

So I am now back to jobless but free.

It's inherently sad, though :sad: and that's why i'm posting about it. :sad: I had a place there; I belonged. I had a role and a purpose. Does anybody understand?

I wasn't born for retail and "pushing sales" though and am thinking about maybe some kind of online editing or writing for hire by the piece. Ha - my mind tells me "not likely" but let's see... there's Monster.com, CareerFinder.com.

Anybody think of anything else?

I'm skeptical, which is ridiculous because the fact is "you NEVER know until you try." Right? :biggrin:

:loopy::piano:​

ToHelp
needs help maybe
I can see patterns of half truths in my job as well. I speak to the bosses and store manager, and i get 4 differant answers. They say they can pay there suppliers, will pay their suppliers, the money is coming, its this week, its next week, it just never arrives....been about 2 months like that.

There talking things up, and making big plans at a time when the writing is on the wall, ive been through all this before, so I know the signs, they think they can turn it around, but its just too late, there grasping at straws...

Im not cut out for sales either. Im a good communicator on the salesroom floor, but im not a bubbly personality, Im not over the top, and you really have to be in my game.

Unlike you, im not really in the position where I can quit, your fortunate in that respect and congrats on getting to that position. Its liberating to know you dont have to work to live reasonably comfortably. Like you I want to do other things, nothing in my future involves the work I do now. I just have to get into a position where I can leave it all behind.

Hope things work out really well for you, and you can find a good freelance writers position somewhere. THere are a lot of freelance sites on the net. A good option is just posting your services on webmaster forums as well. Theres definately work out there.

ToHelp,

I can really understand why you feel like that after leaving your job. Most, if not all of my self worth revolves around my job.

However, if that job was a source of stress you are left with not a sad situation, but an exciting new oppertunity, to find a job with new people, something you really enjoy.

Have you thought about what you might like to do?

F

FoundAndLost1

Hey,

I'm sorry things turned out that way, but perhaps better (sort of) it was your own choice. Yeah, as the expression goes, "It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're working with a bunch of turkeys". Or a corollary of one of Murphy's Laws, "Shit floats"...

But cheer up! I found something that might keep you busy for a while! :smile:

(and, do send us a postcard!)

ToHelp

Well I have awakened into my first day of not being employed. Eek--all awakenings for me are rough, but this time I slowly came around and remembered that decision I made.

No matter--one hour and two Klonopins later (usual dose), I'm quite fine. And I awake to see THREE fresh PMs!!!!! Support!

FoundAndLost1. Why de hell did you have to say shit floats. :rant: I never really thought about it, but NOW I am :rolleyes:

I'm wondering how, why; wondering if it's true. Thanks. :blink: I'm literally pondering the proterties of fresh fecal matter.:rofl: And yes, I'll have to *look* and observe next time. Geez.

Hammock, Craigslist.org. Check. I'll add it to my growing list of possibilites. :) Always the meddlesome type and the one with answers and critiques, this is the first time I've genuinely shared immediate pain and reached out on here... a notable ocassion.

:smile:

ToHelp

Well I wouldn't turn away a good couple licks from a good couple chicks, Hurted. :laugh:

But remember all, I don't really need nor want another job--strange as it sounds.

I'm more fascinated by the possibility of freelance writing and/or editing right here through PC. I have to be aggressive, though, and 'put myself out there'; the perfect position for me exists, but it's like a game. (Stray thought--LIFE is very much like a game.)

And I must be realistic: If there *is* demand, I imagine there are thousands more who want the same as I do. :tongue:

ToHelp

M

madasafishbone

To reiterate, I quit pretty much because the letdowns simply began to outweigh the benefits.

Seems a pretty good reason to quit. if we all did the same then maybe people wouldn't be stuck in jobs that r driving them crazy?

ToHelp

Heh, nahh--many love their jobs. I absolutely loved mine until things reached that critical mass (there was actually a change in the higher-level management that caused it, but that's just the sub-plot lol.)

And then, many don't love their jobs but have no choice because they have to eat, etc.

So you can see, I'm being as candid (honest) as possible--I have a unique living situation. It doesn't make me "lucky." Just unique.

If i were happy go lucky I doubt I would have 300 posts on here. lolololol:rofl::loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

ToHelp

bleach

I'm more fascinated by the possibility of freelance writing and/or editing right here through PC. I have to be aggressive, though, and 'put myself out there'; the perfect position for me exists, but it's like a game. (Stray thought--LIFE is very much like a game.)
Well, you could treat that as a job, but one that you actually want to do -- which are the best kind. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00