I said to much.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Decode, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I think i said to much, i now have an appointment at a local ward for a chat. I think they want to lock me up.
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I do not understand because I live in NY...what is a local ward and what power do they have? Who have you said too much to?
  3. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Did you say to much, or did you say what you were feeling?
  4. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Sorry poorly worded it's a impatient ward and they have the power to commit me i think. I am ok though so they probably won't but it's worrying, i only told my doctor about su, sh and heard some voices a while ago. I agreed to have talk to someone incase i hear them again so i was told, now i found out it's at a impatient ward and there will be a shrink or something there as well, so two of them! I only told my doctor so i could maybe have someone to chat to about stuff and so i could stop thinking about it. In hindsight i probably should not have told them about the voices.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010
  5. doityourself

Do you think a impatient would help? I know its a scary ass thing to go through, but if it will help, go for it.

Whats your number one fear?
  6. ashtar

ashtar Well-Known Member

it is good you told them honey. They cant lock you up. its against the law. unless you have been harming people of course. They will give you antipsychotics and they will help you get rid of the voices. A lot of people who have syptoms that indicate the presence of schizophrenia live normal lives and no one gets commited unless you attemt suicide or you harm someone. Please keep us posted about it. I think I can help you
  7. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

No they can lock me up, its also if they think you are at risk to yourself. Thanks though.

I don't think i need it. When i'm feeling really bad it would be ok but i'm stable at the moment. Number one fear, parents would end up finding out, unless the team were particually helpful about it which i doubt they will be. That would make life so much worse. I'm sure they think i am worse than i am. I really do not come across well in situations like that because of anxiety mainly. Hoping they can see through that and see i have no plans at the moment.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010
  8. doityourself

I know I use to hear voices in my teens, I would also see shadows in the corner of my eyes(if that makes sense). Ive told docs about this and was never impatient, but I live in the US, so the laws could be differant. Let them know that your not a harm to yourself, but dont hide things either, therapy, meds all if it does not help if your not upfront and honest about what your going through.

Good Luck, keep us posted, pun intended, lol
  9. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

Why don't you want your parents to find out?
  10. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I think the key words are "immanent risk" (sp?)
    It's one thing to be suicidal, lots of people are.
    I think if they believe you are on your way to the act, they will hold you.
    I'd suggest (and you know what they say about free advice) that you play it as cool as you can, while still being truthful about your condition, ie: dont try to lie your way out the door.
    Hope it goes ok for you.
  11. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I am going to be honest about the voices etc, but not about anything that makes me sound to at risk, i won't bore you with what. I try to act cool but in situations like that i am at my worse anxiety wise so its unlikely i will come across well. Yeah i see things out of the corner of my eyes to, not gonna tell them that though, well unless they ask about visual stuff. No, their worried about early psychosis and want to check me out, but they sound worried and its making me feel unsure, their trying to put a rush on everything.
    If i lived miles away and i could probably be fully honest as i could do whatever without people finding out. No i could'nt handle my parents finding out their constant looks and them trying to talk to me. I would end up moving out, i'm not sure how to say it other than it would not be good for me.

I'm sure it will be ok, i think they are just being careful, its just this is very new to me and having people phone me up sounding worried and booking me appointments at an inpatient hosptial with two people present (required for commiting) and people telling me on the phone they are all worried about me and them telling me they are gonna rush my appoinments even after i said i don't mind waiting. You can't blame me for being a little anxious about that.
  12. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i don't blame you for being anxious. you could start off the interview by asserting that you don't want to be hospitalized. just get it out there, then hopefully it's off the table. good luck and hope it goes well.
  13. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

They will only make you stay if you don't agree to be an informal patient. If you were informal I don't think they need to make anyone aware. If you were sectioned under a section 2 of the MHA 1983 they would have to contact your nearest relative which if you live with your parents would be those. However, this is worst case scenario. You would only be asked to go in to hospital if they thought you were a danger to your self or other people. If that is not the case then they have no grounds to section you or for you to come in to hospital.
    Who is it you have been asked to go and see? Don't worry too much about it being a ward where you are going to. I often work on the assessment ward at the local hospital and have patients come in to see the Psychiatrist there just for a chat etc. It doesn't mean anything. If your GP thought you were a risk he/she would have arranged a approved mental health professional (AMHP) from the crisis team to assess you. Also, to be sectioned you actually need 3 professionals, 2 doctors (one of whome is s.12 approved) and the AMHP which is generally a social worker.

Don't worry about it, you are probably reading too much in to things as we all do when we feel anxious about things. I've had some proper delusional thoughts before and managed to keep them hidden quite well (good job really as considering when they were at the worst I was actually working on a psych assessment ward). Having paranoid thoughts, hallucinations etc is not going to get you a bed.

Good luck and PM me how it goes.

14. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, yes probably seeing more into it than there actually is. Anyways i'm not to bad and i will lie about any bad su stuff i'm not sure they are ready to hear that. I'm sure things will be ok. They are probably just doing me favour and addressing whether i may need some psych. support in the future.

Although i read it to be two medical people, one of which has to have a s12.
  15. GoldenPsych

You need an AMHP also. Usually a social worker as only a recent thing and not sure if since the new law came in about it people would have time to train.

The thing is there is a lot they can do to help without actually being an inpatient. If you are having hallucinations etc they must be frustrating and there are meds you can have that will make them less frequent.

Go in there thinking what can they do for me. Have an idea of what you want to get out of it and ask them lots of questions. You are making positive steps in seeking out help and that is always looked on favourably.

16. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I am not hearing stuff at the moment, i told them i was a few months ago and then it stopped. I was offered the crisis team but i turned it down, i've not seen a social worker.
  17. GoldenPsych

You'll be apples then. Just tell them what you want from going there etc etc. Be proactive about it. If you want help you should get it.
    PM me after the appointment let me know how goes. x
  18. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Feeling a little less anxious about doing it now thanks. I will pm you how it goes.
  19. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

I seriously doubt that they'll admit you. The NHS is such a mess that they only have beds for urgent cases and it has to be seriously urgent.
    I often have two people when I go for appointments. If I'm really bad they offer me the crisis team (which I refuse) and two weeks valium. Then they send me home.
    Make sure you get the best out of the appointment though. You want to ask lots of questions about your own condition. You need to learn as much as you can so that you can cope with it better.
    Good luck, let us know how it goes,
  20. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Thanks all. My appointment went ok, it was not like i thought it would be. The people i spoke to were not with the hospital, i mentioned sectioning and they said they didn't have the power to commit me so i felt a bit better after that. They asked me lots of general questions on my history etc. I was very nervous and did say a few stupid things that were not relevant that i'm annoyed about but it went ok so i'm trying hard not to think about those. I also i said a few things wrong so i'm not sure they will offer me their services but if they don't they said they might be able to suggest stuff to my doctor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.