"I shouldn't have to change..."

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Freya, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

This is something that is said here a LOT. The general theme one or a combination of:
    • I hate my life
    • I feel crap
    • People don't respond to me the way I want them to
    • People treat me in a way that makes me feel bad
    • I can't get a job
    • I can't get a gf/bf
    (Not an exhaustive list)

Followed by the refrain "people should accept me for who I am".

People. Judge.

Watch this video (its just an example - not 'the' example - just an opening point for debate. Obviously the format of it is tacky but I hope people can leave that aside)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXXi6UsWWbI

The ONLY thing that happened here is she changed the way she PRESENTED herself. She didn't change who she is. She didn't change her body or her face. She did not change her personality. She changed the image she is presenting to the world instead.

"I shouldn't have to change" most often seems to mean a person thinks other people/the world should change to accommodate them instead.

This is obviously very much to do with her appearance, and I don't want the debate to focus on appearance, I would like it to focus on CHANGE and the need for it.

There is no question here - just a topic open for thoughts/input.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Very interesting and dramatic difference. The part most interesting is in her own reaction to self and how much she liked it better herself- regardless of what others thought. I suspect the biggest difference in the long run will be in her own confidence and self esteem.

(now you have me watching more of that show- some are even more dramatic)

3. Sumerian

Sumerian Active Member

I can't watch the video at the moment, but I think I get the idea.

I agree with what's written in the OP. If every single person you run into is an asshole and nobody seems to like you, or wants to be with you, then there might be a common factor at work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.