I still cannot change

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Forgotten_Man, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

So this weekend I am attending NDK, all on my own. My roommate was not sure if he wanted to come or not. So I figured that I would just see if he remembered the con or not. Anyway enough of that nonsense. Here I am at the convention all by myself. I figured maybe things would be different this year. I am finding that they are very much the same, probably worse. I am still as anti-social as ever. I find myself hiding in my hotel room as much as I can, when there are no panels going on. I find myself avoiding eye contact with people. I find myself not even asking if I can take people's picture.

I think this might be a sign that I am just a failure as a social human being. That I will never be social enough to make friends or lovers. I mean I am in an element and a group of people who get me. Yet I find myself treating them like the people I know at work. I am just a waste and should probably give up.

Maybe I am just feeling sorry for myself... maybe I am just trying to throw myself into a deep depression I don't know. All I do know is I should not be this depressed at an anime convention. Especially since I seemed to have escaped my roommate.
  2. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

You are feeling sorry for yourself.
    You should try talking to people, dont be afraid of saying something stupid or making a mistake, we all do sometimes and sometimes it works out just right.
  3. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

Socializing is sort of like art. Some people are better at it than others, but everyone has their own way to go about it. So don't bring yourself down if you're not the greatest with interacting with others. Everyone has their own weaknesses.

There's nothing wrong with trying like Prof said, especially at a convention where you share interests with the people there. Plus, if anything did go wrong, unless you made a good connection with them and exchanged details, chances are you'll probably not see them again.
  4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I agree with daijou...if nobody knows you there I say go for it....pretend if you have to that you're sociable...keep your head held high and smile and be where the action is as much as possible....good luck
  5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Hey... being social is hard.

That's all I can really say. :rolleyes:
  6. Forgotten_Man

I am definitly trying to pretend to be social. However, I start to feel like a fraud when I do it and feel bad.
  7. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with that statement. But it's a little bit easier to do when you're around people that understand that fact as well. I'm not sure exactly what the crowd at an anime convention would be like, despite the fact I watch it myself, but I'm sure there are plenty that understand. Don't feel bad for attempting to come out of your shell, it means you're trying to change a little. Just keep trying and enjoy the convention. You went there so you might as well enjoy it. :tongue:
  8. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

The great thing about socializing is that its a skill that you have your whole life to work on. Sure, it sucks wanting to be able to socialize easily (and I say that coming from experience), but I don't think it is something you can rush. I suggest you just act naturally, ease into situations you feel comfortable in (but try not to stagnate in them), and go from there.

And about the convention, pretty much the same thing applies. Enjoy yourself, talk to people at a pace you feel comfortable with, and try to take it easy. And if you feel self conscious about your socializing, then remember that everyone else might be feeling self conscious about theirs as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  9. Forgotten_Man

Yeah my complete failure to actually come out of my shell is making this a crappy experience. Thank god I have a hotel room to retreat too.

Right now it is clear to me that I could have 10 life times and not make a step forward from where I am currently at. I should just kill myself when I get home.