i still don't have my licsense.. am 17 now .. when did you get yours???

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Aphorism, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

It really bums me out every time I think about it. I moved in December, so I was only half way through a Driver's Ed course. It doesn't count for anything in the state that I'm in--nor does my permit. I'm really upset about this, and I'm considering waiting until I move to college to try again...I mean sure I'll practice driving in the mean time but the process is so tedious and the driver's test (especially in the north east) is difficult.

I'm embarrassed, considering I have friends my age that have been driving for literally two years. But then again, where I live now people more often rely on public transport. It's just annoying to have to depend on someone else to always drive me. Plus, I'm getting freaked out that I'm never going to get it. And I don't know I just cried because of this. lol.

So yeah. At what age did you get your driver's license? If you don't have one, when do you plan on getting it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  2. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Re: I still don't have my license...I'm 17...when did you get yours?

I know there are plenty of people far beyond 17 that do not have a driver's license. I got mine at 16, but actually because of pressure. I live in Houston, Texas and you really have to drive in that city to survive. Its a really spread out city and public transportation is almost non-existent. So for me to get a driver's license early was out of necessity. If I lived in a place like NYC, I'd never need one for instance. I really liked it there when I visited 5 years ago.

I see no reason why you will NEVER get one. I'm sure you will get one soon, you have plenty of time. But I understand the frustration if everyone else your age around you is driving and you aren't. You wouldn't care if I told you stories about older people that still do not drive, because you are naturally focused on the people that you actually see in real life driving and you feel left out in the cold.

3. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

Thanks for that post...I actually used to live in Houston so that's where I see a lot of acquaintances zipping away. I feel silly for worrying about this so much, cause you're right, realistically it will happen eventually. It's just disconcerting sometimes, knowing kids that go on road trips and such by themselves, and I still can't drive without parental supervision.

4. Nyu

Nyu Well-Known Member

I didn't get mine till I was 19. I'm 20 now. I used to think driving was the scariest thing, but I got over it, thankfully. :)

5. Kaish

Kaish Well-Known Member

I actually did not get mine until I was 22. I had a difficult time because I wanted it so badly that whenever I did anything to attempt to get it, I would burst into tears and think my life was over - parents were arguing and going through a divorce at the time.

I know how it feels though. I came from a city where it was normal to get your license the moment you could. I even had teachers asking me on my 16th birthday if I had the test scheduled. People teased me and made me feel like I was less than them because I did not have my license.

I had the same thought that I would never get one, and I had people encourage me by telling me it's okay never to get one and that they're plenty of people who do not have one. I know that I use to have dreams about driving, losing control of the car, and driving off a cliff. It was scary.

One thing I can say is that when I took my driving test, I was amazed at how easy it was. The only thing I struggled with was backing around a curb. I thought I had to do it perfectly, but they pretty much want to make sure you have control of the car. Since I had been driving between the ages of 16-22 I had the experience that I needed, it was just fear that made me believe I would never get one, and since having my license I feel completely safe and capable.

I know it is tough, but hang in there. You will get it!

6. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I still don't have one myself and i'm 27. Partly because most places I go to are public transport accessible - or in my town where I can use my legs. I kinda went off driving because of the low end paid jobs i was in - i'd never have earned enough to run a car.

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Re: i still don't have my liscense.. am 17 now .. when did you get yours???

I got my provisional when I was 20 but I didn't start learning to drive till I was 21. Still learning to drive but have my driving test book so I will be 22 when I pass (hopefully)!

8. pppqp

pppqp Well-Known Member

i got mine when i was 18 or 19. for the theory test i got a full score but... for the driving test, i failed big time. twice!
    so obviously i finally got the license when i came back for the third time :chargrined:

9. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I was 28. Legal driving age here was 16.

I don't think you need to worry that you are 17 and don't yet drive. You will get your license when you really need or want it, I'm sure. :smile:

10. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

I didn't get my license till I was 18. Didn't actually drive or get a car (no money to) till I was 19. My 30-something roommate doesn't have a license at all, never has.

11. carebear32

carebear32 Well-Known Member

I was 30 when I got my drivers licence. I am now 32. Legal driving age here is 18. I had an intense fear of the roads, which is why it took so long.

12. Re: i still don't have my liscense.. am 17 now .. when did you get yours???

I am 26 now and I don't have any license yet. Legal driving is 21 in Singapore.

13. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm 27 and haven't attempted to get mine yet

14. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

16 on my second attempt at the road test. If it's any consolation, I didn't actually own a car until I was 27.

15. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I got my license at 18 right after I finished high school, because it is the driving age here, and where I live, public transport is minimal. Having said that, when I went to uni I found that I was in the minority and a lot of first years still could not yet drive. Several of my school friends only just got their licences and they're around about 20 now. A handful still do not have your license. Don't feel bad about it -- if you can get around on public transport then I personally don't see any reason to change.

Yes, owning and driving your own car is incredibly convenient. But it also uses a lot of money -- initial cost, insurance, registration, servicing, petrol, etc, and if you're a student then that kind of sucks. Most of the money I make goes right to paying for my car.

If you want to, then get your license of course whenever you want but if you don't NEED a car to get around, hold off for a while and save up.

16. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Can personally attest to all of TDM's wisdom. Cars are expensive to own and drive. Get the license anytime. If you don't "need" the car right away, save up for it and be mentally prepared for the cost involved in upkeep.

17. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I'm 23 now, I've never had any interest in driving a car, everywhere I need to go is walking distance or a bike ride away. I probably will get a car when I'm older and can afford it but right now I really don't need one.

18. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I was 18 when I got mine. I had the permit for 2 years, mainly cuz of cost. It was cheaper to wait the extra 2 years, which drove me nuts but ehh...

19. Damask

Damask Well-Known Member

Not having your license at the age of seventeen is no big deal. You'll get it eventually. :)

There are people far older than you are who don't have a license.

20. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

I keep going for the lesson's but also keep losing my confidence, I'm 31 this year so I hope it's the year for me. :smile-new:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.