I still hate my job

alice202

SF Supporter
Every day I feel a little more hopeless.

I work on a computer helpdesk, and right now we are so busy, its just one call after another all day long. We take calls for a dozen different companies and we're supposed to pretend we work for each of them. I like the customers and I like helping people. But there are plenty of things you can't do without instructions, and the instructions are, generally speaking, poorly written. So I have to go into one of our chat rooms and ask for help, and I often have the experience of being talked to like I'm stupid. Nothing overt, just patronizing. When we're all at home working on line nobody knows that you're older than the rest of them and have a lot of experience. They talk down to you because in this particular situation, they know more than you do.

I finally said something to my supervisor about how two of the women patronized me. Instead of going to look at the chat and see what was said, he dismissed it and told me how great they are.

Later in the day I saw my name mentioned in a negative way in one of the other chats. The person was complaining about me but never messaged me to talk about it. So I told my supervisor again, and he joined the chat and defended me to this other person, because I had discussed it with him and did exactly what he told me to. It was, in fact, a new policy, but the other person didnt know that. I am sick of having to defend myself.

So anyway, I'm always on the defensive. Some of the guys in my group annoy me for the same reason but I guess I'm so used to patronizing attitudes from men that I don't get as annoyed.

I wake up in the morning and feel annoyed if its not Saturday or Sunday. All week I am waiting for the week to be over. I hate this job but I need to stay here till I find something else.

I have applied for a couple of things but they didn't come through. I will keep trying.

I have a 5 month old puppy and he is funny, wonderful, and amazing. He's what keeps me going right now.

Alice

Last edited:

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
Every day I feel a little more hopeless.

I work on a computer helpdesk, and right now we are so busy, its just one call after another all day long. We take calls for a dozen different companies and we're supposed to pretend we work for each of them. I like the customers and I like helping people. But there are plenty of things you can't do without instructions, and the instructions are, generally speaking, poorly written. So I have to go into one of our chat rooms and ask for help, and I often have the experience of being talked to like I'm stupid. Nothing overt, just patronizing. When we're all at home working on line nobody knows that you're older than the rest of them and have a lot of experience. They talk down to you because in this particular situation, they know more than you do.

I finally said something to my supervisor about how two of the women patronized me. Instead of going to look at the chat and see what was said, he dismissed it and told me how great they are.

Later in the day I saw my name mentioned in a negative way in one of the other chats. The person was complaining about me but never messaged me to talk about it. So I told my supervisor again, and he joined the chat and defended me to this other person, because I had discussed it with him and did exactly what he told me to. It was, in fact, a new policy, but the other person didnt know that. I am sick of having to defend myself.

So anyway, I'm always on the defensive. Some of the guys in my group annoy me for the same reason but I guess I'm so used to patronizing attitudes from men that I don't get as annoyed.

I wake up in the morning and feel annoyed if its not Saturday or Sunday. All week I am waiting for the week to be over. I hate this job but I need to stay here till I find something else.

I have applied for a couple of things but they didn't come through. I will keep trying.

I have a 5 month old puppy and he is funny, wonderful, and amazing. He's what keeps me going right now.

Alice
Based on your description there, is your job about replying via messenger and/or emailing to your client's customers for technical and general support?

You have been working hard for others. Thank you. Though, it sounds like not everyone appreciated that. If your experience with those people became more of a daily basis, I think it would be fine to quit for your own sake and health.

It's good that there is a beacon of hope in your life.

alice202

SF Supporter
Based on your description there, is your job about replying via messenger and/or emailing to your client's customers for technical and general support?

You have been working hard for others. Thank you. Though, it sounds like not everyone appreciated that. If your experience with those people became more of a daily basis, I think it would be fine to quit for your own sake and health.

It's good that there is a beacon of hope in your life.
Thanks John. We take phone calls, voice mails, and emails from customers -- we call back many people and connect to their computers or resolve issues on the back end. I do feel appreciated by the customers and I like talking to them. Now and then I get a "thumbs up" response. Its my coworkers that I find stress with, and the management. I can't afford to quit and have no money coming in...

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
Thanks John. We take phone calls, voice mails, and emails from customers -- we call back many people and connect to their computers or resolve issues on the back end. I do feel appreciated by the customers and I like talking to them. Now and then I get a "thumbs up" response. Its my coworkers that I find stress with, and the management. I can't afford to quit and have no money coming in...
I gave a "thumbs up" response.
I doubt it would be easy to find a different job during the pandemics and this time of troubles, depending on where you are from. I suggested quitting in case when you can no longer tolerate your co-workers and the management. You can file a complaint or speak it directly to your employer or manager before quitting.

Stay strong and safe.

alice202

SF Supporter
So this is an update on something that happened at my job today. I had a 1:1 meeting with my manager today. I was dreading it, but he started out being really nice, like someone had coached him on empathy. Then he said that HR told him that I've been posting my resume on the internet and he wanted to know why.

My reaction was shock, not only that Human Resources does stuff like this, but that they tell your manager about it, and that your manager confronts you. I reminded him that I was misled about the position being a "lateral move" when it wasn't and that I took a substantial cut in pay. I told him I knew I would never make up the difference staying in this job so of course I am going to keep my eyes open. So he accepted that for an answer, though he obviously already knew that, as did HR.

Then he was showing me something on his computer desktop, and I saw a screenshot of a chat I had with my supervisor where I was asking him a question. It was like he sent it to my manager to show him how dumb I am. The manager said I wasn't supposed to see it, but that I should know that he asks for feedback from supervisors. But now I am less likely to ask my supervisor for help in what I thought was a private chat.

Then he said something about me being easily stressed out. He hardly knows me so I don't know where he came up with that but now I am feeling totally paranoid about this workplace. I feel like I can't trust anyone.

I have had some calls from recruiters about jobs, but nothing promising. It just feels more and more like I don't belong here.

Alice

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00