I think I blew it...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Ferret, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferret

Ferret Well-Known Member

I always thought I had a thing for computers and technology. So I quit university and went to a local community college for two years. I received an IT diploma and got my first job at a call center doing tech support for cell phones. During that time I met my ex girlfriend, and started liking the job less and less because my supervisor was an ass. I started applying for several jobs and finally landed one with a hospital. There I was doing helpdesk work, but not really any troubleshooting. I would take calls, make the tickets, and then transfer the call to whoever was available to fix the issue. I felt that it was repetitive work, even though it paid good money and I was financially secure. When my ex broke up with me, things changed and I became depressed. I felt useless because I've seen my other friends start at the same position as me, and they've moved into jobs they actually enjoy.

After 5 months of working I took some time off to try to get my act together. After a couple of months with family I decided to quit my job and go back to school. I had some savings but with monthly bills and living expenses that soon depleted. I'm going to a private school to do an Electrican trade and the tuition is really expensive, but I didn't have much of a choice. The local community college has a 3 year waiting list, and I didn't want to wait around for that. I had to take out a student loan to cover the rest of my tuition and other things, but looking back, I think I made a big mistake. My ex really pushed me to the limits when it came to having confidence in myself. I didn't really have any confidence to begin with, because I was unhappy with where I was in life. I will get my Electrician trade in a few months, but am wondering if I should have kept my old job. I know money isn't everything, but now I'm in debt, and I'm back in the same boat again, trying to look for a job. I feel even more depressed thinking about how far I've come, and at what cost. I hate my life :( .
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

An electrician is a great career there will always be a need for electricians. If you were not happy in your old job i think it was brave of you to start over Don't wait to start applying for jobs do it now letting potentia job interviewers know you skills and your computer skills as well. I think anyone would look at those skills as a bonus. take care and good luck
  3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I agree with Violet.. Also check with a counselor and find out if they have any kind of job placement assistance..
  4. kuika

kuika Active Member

i know what its like to be in debt and be looking for a job im there right now. A trade nowadays is great to have, better than going in debt for a university degree. Even with the housing downturn people are still building tearing down remodeling, etc. Heck even doing the wiring for grow-ops alone can pay off ur debts in no time :)

You have a great trade and feather in your cap, i know its hard to see now.

best luck
  5. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Yeah, in time you'll make serious dough as an electrician, especially for the guys doing the high voltage stuff and get union pay and benefits. The job market sucks now and there are lots of people in that boat. Ride it out and stop panicking.
  6. Ferret

Ferret Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the kind words of support. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.