I think I found a new way to self harm

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by morning rush, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I only started to realize it now..but I use the clipper for the skin around the nails to cut the skin, but I cut and cut, until it hurts....I've been obsessing with it for a while and only realized that it might be a new way to self harm....I dunno...or maybe its just an obsession?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

i hope you are kind to you no more cutting okay not good for feet to have sores your toes hard to heal. you are cared for my many here so please stay safe okay take care of you
  3. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

It might just be a habit rather then real way to hurt yourself.

I am a shocking nail biter and will pull the skin off around the nail too which can be quite painful.

When i make an effort to stop, i will give myself a manicure and polish them up so they look at least half decent :laugh: then when i go to bite them, i think, well i've spent this time making my hands neat and it just makes me think twice. Whereas normally i'd just shove my nails into my teeth without even realising it.
  4. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

I have one friend who has a habit of chewing the skin off his whole finger...it is absouluty sick.

I accidently do that with the clippers and it hurts like @ for a week
  5. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I bite my nails, I take after my grandma! :laugh:

But I also bite the skin off near the nail, it's basically dead. I just don't use that beach rock thing we have in the bathroom to exfoliate the dead skin of those areas where it builds up :tongue:. That and it's a kind of nervous/bored habit. It's the same with itching my scalp. It's not actually itchy, I just do it randomly sometimes.
  6. clairedelune

clairedelune Well-Known Member

Were you really intending to hurt yourself by doing so? If not, then probably it might only be a habit. But please, try not to hurt yourself any longer. :)
  7. morning rush

mom says its a nervous thing...like when you shake your leg...I think that's true, I don't intend on hurting myself...I just can't seem to stop cutting for some reason...but I don't always cut to the core....I dunno...
  8. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I slough skin off when I'm bored/anxious. I don't think it's SI, it's just something that I do. Doesn't harm me at all.
  9. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I had the same problem I told two doctors about it they both said it was self harme related, you cut at the skin around the nails in the fingers with the fingers it makes it more difficult to grab things without pain, around the toes it gets very hard to put on socks and walk, so the pain is on going, I defintly think it is self harm, sometimes parents don't/can't admit the truth when it is right in front of them.
  10. clairedelune

clairedelune Well-Known Member

That is really dangerous. Don't you think you need to consult somebody about this?
  11. morning rush

I will talk to my psy about it when I see him in the beginning of october...
  12. Confused and Lost

Confused and Lost Well-Known Member

I actually do the same and i think it is a way of self harm plus the fact i dont like little bits of skin catching the bed sheets haha. I keep going sometimes if i am highly stressed i dont realise they are bleeding. I have sort of stopped recently thou.
    :) x
  13. I used to cut the skin off of the bottoms of my feet with nail clippers until my husband caught me several times with feet that looked awful and embarrassed me, so I stopped...for the most part.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.