I think I have an eating disorder

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by sc01706, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sc01706

sc01706 Active Member

I see a lot of threads about people being too thin but not much on the other end of the spectrum. I've always been overweight, but I had lost a bit of weight and was down to 247 pounds. That's still overweight, but at 6 foot 2 my weight was manageable. That was my weight in January of 2009. Now I'm up to 374. I've gained about 125 pounds in 18 months. I don't eat a lot of food in terms of volume. I don't eat sweats like candy, cake or ice cream. I drink diet pop and don't eat fast food. I do tend to eat a lot of chips. I just don't see my food intake to be that of someone pushing 400 pounds. The problem is, I just can't seem to get motivated to lose. I guess I look at the daunting task of losing 125 pounds and undoing what I've done the past 18 months and just give up. I don't visit people who've seen me when I was thinner. Everyone said how good I looked when I was thinner. Now that I'm big I take it I don't look good anymore? I have a pretty lazy lifestyle, but I just don't know how I keep getting bigger. I don't binge eat. I don't know what I can do to become more motivated to change. The weight is robbing me of things I've always wanted to do. I've developed knee problems and will need a knee replacement soon and I'm only 26. I can't play any sports, run or do anything physical because my knee will give out. I think my issues are mental and not physical.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

IF that is the case then get some therapy to see what the root or cause for you overeating or you lack of motivation to get well and stay well. See a nutritionist as well to set up a diet for you that will help you loose weight not gain walking just a few times a day will help you loose weight as well hugs
    You lost it before so you know you can do it give yourself credit okay you can with help be healthy again
  3. sc01706

sc01706 Active Member

That's one of the problems. I'm unemployed and have no insurance and can't afford therapy and nutritionist. I don't even have the motivation to get a job.
  4. Kikyo

Kikyo Active Member

If you're gaining a lot but not eating that much comparatively,
    then there may be some sort of underlying medical condition causing it.
    I'd suggest perhaps getting it checked out by a doctor.
  5. The Unforgiven

The Unforgiven Well-Known Member

Do try to get your blood tested for thyroid profile, T3 T4 and TSH. You could have hypothyroidism, which would also be in concordance with your lack of stamina and motivation.
    Hope things look up!.. :hug:
  6. Simons

Simons Member

Yes you need to go to check your blood test and then you can get some results and hope you will get some relaxation after problem is solved.
  7. Shown

Shown New Member

Well blood test will be good for you. I agree with this suggestion.You should go to check your blood test. i hope this will solve your problem.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.