I think I may have lost my job...not sure

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Hazel Morse, Jun 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazel Morse

Hazel Morse Well-Known Member

If I have lost my job, I don't know what to do.

I'm nearly 36 years old. My mother and stepfather hate me because of my depression. They consider me a failure because I am a teacher (ought to have been a doctor or a lawyer - with all the money they spent on my education, and got married, and not got fat, etc). I can't move back in with them. I have literally zero friends.

I work at the worst international school in the world. Seriously, they have gone without paying me for months before. The school already sacked the Vice Principal without his knowing about it until just two days ago... he had already signed two more months' lease on his apartment. I've signed another year's lease on my flat. They have sacked people without warning before.

I signed a contract in April for the next year, but with all the fuss of preparing for the end of the year and preparing to move campus ( we packed up the entire school) I forgot to ask for a copy of the contract (it needs to be stamped by the government of this awful country). I tried to ask for it today (last day of school) but was given a non-answer. They have renewed my visa and work permit till next year, that's something, but they may have done the same for the hapless Vice Principal. I'm afraid I'll come back to school in August and they'll be like "what're you doing here - thought you got the message that we fired you?" Of course I have no references so I've no idea how I could ever get another job,in my own country or internationally.

Sorry this is so long, but I can't think of any way out. I can't spend 6 weeks with this hanging over my head. I'm frantic.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
  2. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

You should feel welcome to share your thoughts and feelings here. I can't render any advice, of course--but people, including myself, don't post on a suicide forum because their live courses are peachy. Generally, family condemnation of offspring due to choice of profession is considered outdated or "old school," at least in the USA. I don't know of any remedies for it when it does occur. I think teaching is a perfectly honorable profession.

Best wishes.
  3. jxdama

jxdama Staff Member Safety & Support

any updates?
  4. NWAD

NWAD Member

Don't consider yourself a failure because you teach. I can't speak about being a doctor, but since I'm a law student, I can talk about that. Law school is a 3 year pressure cooker, and then you graduate, then find out the reason law school had you pull all nighters and work for months straight on end is because that's what they expect of you in the real world. Until you reach partner.

But that wasn't your question. You wanted to know what to do.

I can't give you legal advice for a variety of reasons (one of them is not knowing what jurisdiction you're in), but you need a copy of that contract. Tell them you need it for financial reasons; make up some excuse as to why you need it sooner rather than later (like a loan - the bank needs to see it in order to verify income). If they refuse to give it to you, you may have to decide if you want to take the risk of going back or not.

A letter demanding the contract may also be in order. In the US we would argue that failure to provide a copy is a breach by good faith and fair dealing.

If you do receive the contract, you need to read it carefully as to what your remedies are in case of breach. Many private education contracts that I have seen, for example, award one months pay due to breach. That's it.

Remember: a contract is only as strong as the two parties who agree to be bound by it and the will of one of the parties to enforce that contract in court.

Not legal advice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.