I think I might be lacking of empathy?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by milo001, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milo001

milo001 Active Member

I don't felt anything about other peoples suffering. I only care about myself and stray animals to some extend. I can't even felt sorry for my father who has to take care of me until know and he is suffering from severe headache. This is not recent. I have a dog who died two years ago but I don't felt any sadness at that time. She has been with me for nearly 3 years. Should I talk to a psychiatrist about this?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there Milo, I have been in psych wards numerous times, have been to classes regarding mental health, and other things. I am not a professional so obviously cannot diagnose but I will say there are many psychiatric illness that have symptoms of being unable to care about others feeling and have no empathy, can't understand and feel others sufferings, the main one that stands out when I think of ''lack of empathy'' is a sociopath. I personally think you should see a psychiatrist because it could be one of many things, there are so many different illnesses, you may have one of them. That's all I can say really. If you're asking should you see a psychiatrist then you probably feel strong about seeing one, so go for it. You know your body better than anyone. Good luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.